Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre WW1 uniform identification

Terry Carter

Hi Terry

I agree with 7t2ndsinger, this being confirmed by the RS shoulder title and the thistle collar dogs,

cheers, Jon

The tunic braiding is UNDER the collar facing. This suggests pre-1903, because the braiding briefly migrated to the top from 1902/3 to 1912. It could therefore be immediately pre the Great War, but the odds are against.

Perhaps a RS expert could track the etymology of the collar dog or the ST more accurately.

The 'RS' shoulder title would suggest that the photo is post 1921, prior to this the regiment wore 'Royal Scots' titles these being replaced in that year by the 'RS' title. (Westlake)

The collar dogs don't really help with dating since the same was worn from 1881 onwards with slight variations. The only other information that I can add is that he served with a regular battalion.

Jon

The 'RS' shoulder title would suggest that the photo is post 1921, prior to this the regiment wore 'Royal Scots' titles these being replaced in that year by the 'RS' title. (Westlake)

The collar dogs don't really help with dating since the same was worn from 1881 onwards with slight variations. The only other information that I can add is that he served with a regular battalion.

Jon

Agreed that is what Westlake says, but the scarlet tunic was never reintroduced after 1914.

The shoulder straps intrigue me too. More on this later, I hope.

The shoulder strap appears not to be faced with the Royal blue. The strap is not edged white. The ST might be woven white.

All these point to pre-1902.

Try involving Graham Stewart.