The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help - Need a photograph!

MatthewT

Does anyone have a photograph tucked away in their collections of the 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby).

I have a painting of my Great Great Uncle in uniform and am trying to match it with something in real life....no easy feat by got to try somewhere!

;)

Hi Matt,

Any chance of us seeing the painting??

Anthony,

Will get copy scanned and put on shortly!

Whilst I'm at it do you or any of the other pals know what the writing is on the attached picture?

I have been told it's a matchox cover, one side has my Great Great Uncles initials on it J A Taylor with the date 9.6.17.

The other side has the words "High Wood" with another place that I am not aware of. I have researched High Wood and the date inscribed does match with when this battle took place however I am at a loss in identyfying the other words...are they French??

Matt :)

MATCHBOX_COVER

There's not a lot of stuff about on the 9th SF. When they evacuated from Suvla Bay (Gallipoli) their records were destroyed so as not to fall in Turkish hands. If you seek a picture of the massed ranks then I think you'll be disappointed as I've never seen or heard of one. However, for what it's worth here's a picture of one man of the 9th, John William Armstrong (d.o.w 28/9/1916).

post-2-1081358425.jpg

Guest Martin King

The words on the "matchbox cover" appear to me to be "Taube plane". A Taube was a German aircrsft of the time. Maybe it is a souvenir of one that crashed in High Wood at that time.

Martin