The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Martinsart Cemetery

warbuff1

Having visited Martinsart for the first time last week i wondered if anyone knew the reason why it has sandstone heasdstones? Heard it was an experimental type but not sure if this totally true. If it was certainly glad that it wasnt adopted everywhere as it certainly looks dark and dismal and shows signs of wear and tear alot

Wayne

post-29589-1239722075.jpg

As far as I have seen or read it was one of a number of cemeteries where experimental stones where used.

Here is a Huddersfield man in Martinsart Cemetery, his trio is in my medalcollection.

Somme2008033.jpg

Kind regards,

Lars

There have been a few mentions of Martinsart cemetery on the forum just type Martinsart cemetery in the search topic on the cemeteries page.

Cheers Izzy much info there, thank you.

Nice info Lars would have probably looked at him too whilst there and never knew the local conection

Wayne

• 1 year later...

Having visited Martinsart for the first time last week i wondered if anyone knew the reason why it has sandstone heasdstones? Heard it was an experimental type but not sure if this totally true. If it was certainly glad that it wasnt adopted everywhere as it certainly looks dark and dismal and shows signs of wear and tear alot

Wayne

I visited this cemetery at the beginning of September 2010 having been alerted to its state by a comment in one of Martin and Mary Middlebrook's books. The damage was described as due to 'torching', rather than wear and tear. The damaged stones certainly looked burnt to me.

Wharf Rat

post-57341-038403900 1284397908.jpg