The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner F ERICSON

Guest paulomac

Guest paulomac

Hey,

I'm hoping somebody out there could help me with any further information on my great grandfather. This is all I could find about him, I was wondering whether anyone knew of anything in any greater detail? Anything would be very appreciated.

Gunner FREDERICK ERICSON

12884, 351st Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

Died: 10 November 1917

Much depends on what info you are after.

I assume that you have already followed the advice above and looked through the "Grandad's War" section of the main site.

Guest paulomac

Heya thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I found out a bit more info about him that way already (like when he died, regiment etc..), but i'm interested in where he could have been when he died, or any information really relating to what he'd been doing leading up to his death. I'm trying to piece it together as a suprise for my father so any information is greatly appreciated.

Could be a bit difficult. Detailed records for RGA Siege Batteries were not maintained (or kept) in the same way as, say, infantry units. You could try searching the National Archives on-line catalogue to see if the War Diary still exists (this was a daily record of activities and would tell you what was happening in the days before he as killed). Its probable that Frederick will not be mentioned by name, although, in my experience, there seems to be a slightly better chance with artillery than infantry Diaries.

Other than that, there are some members of the Forum who have a specific interest in the artillery and may have some details of where the Battery was at the time. No guarantees, of course.

I don't know if you already have this information but my copy of Soldiers Died in the Great war CD show him to have been born in Edgebaston and living in Birmingham. He enlisted in Bristol. It records him as "killed in action" which means that, whatever happened to him he was killed outright. I asume you also know, from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, that he is buried at Ypres Reservoir Cemetery.

RGA batteries were situated some considerable way behind the front line. If you wanted me to speculate, I would guess that he was killed by incoming fire from German artillery (it's how most artillerymen were killed)

Good luck.

John

Guest paulomac

Hi,

Thanks for the info, i'll have a look and see.

No i didnt know that, that's some good facts about him, thanks. Does the 'Soldiers who died in the great war' CD go into anymore indepth detail, or was that all that was listed?

Once again thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Paul