The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli - The End of the Myth

AlanCurragh

I've received my copy of this today - looks a very interesting read. Mr Prior's contention appears to be that many myths have emerged about Gallipoli - the naval campaign was almost won; had the landing taken place before 25th April, a rapid Turkish surrender may have occurred; more able officers would have enabled the capture of the Sari Bair ridge in August; had anyone other than Stopford been in charge, Suvla would have been successful.

As Mr Prior states in his introduction,

"What I have endeavoured to do in this book, as well as tell the story of the campaign, is investigate these so-called lost oppotunities. It is my claim that I have been able to bring new perspectives to some of these long-standing controversies and to dispatch them to the dustbin of history. Whether this claim has substance is for others to judge."

On the back of the book, Jay Winter describes the book as "History of a very high order - the best account by far of the campaign"

One other point - the book has 28 high quality, clear maps.

Alan

post-2705-1239969890.jpg

Alan,

Professor Robin Prior gave a public lecture for the Victorian launch of his book at the Shrine of Remembrance Visitors Centre, Melbourne, last Thursday, 16th April.

You can find the audio of this lecture here.

http://www.shrine.org.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1929

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff, there looks like there is some good stuff there

Alan

How are you getting on with it, Alan? It is surprising me how straightforward the answers to some of these 'mysteries' have turned out to be. And thoroughly enjoying the use of the word 'bizarre'!