The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Too close to the sun. The life and times of Denys Finch Hatton.

JPAE

The film "Out of Africa" is now a quarter of a Century old, and perhaps its superb all encompassing quality is written off by comments such as ' Oh, the Redford and Streep love story'. Until I saw the film, much later, I had no idea of that quality and now appreciate the Barry score, wonderful cast, awesome cinematography, and historical period of before, during and after WW1.

This book is about the character Denys Finch Hatton, and is NOT a history of war in East Africa, but his story and involvement in recorded actions embellished by a creative and well researched text. This is what makes the book so unputdownable, compared to the technical tomes that to me are essential to learning, but proove hard work!

Denys was the son of an Earl, as was Berkeley Cole, who formed the Scouts in which Denys served, and gained a MC.

Quote Sara Wheeler. "It is a story of big guns and small 'planes, princes from England and sultans from Zanzibar, a famous divorce case, a Welsh castle and a Gilbertine Priory, marauding lions, syphilis, bancruptcy, self-destruction and the tragedy of the human heart."

Fancy a change from the trench environment and enter the Africa of a Century ago, and a WW1 in which being eaten by a lion was a possibility? Tales, too, of the self-suffiency of von Lettows guerrillas enabling them to remain undefeated, and a respected force.

I'm only halfway through the book, and 1918 and the armistice looms so I guess that this part is not really for the forum, but I intend to carry on with this fascinating read.

Cheers for now,

Phil.

Many thanks for the heads-up, Phil. I somehow missed this book when it was published in 2006.

Does the book mention the war service of Denys's elder brother, Guy (known as Toby), who as Lt Viscount Maidstone RNVR served with the Royal Naval Siege Guns on the Belgian coast? Toby married the American banking heiress Margaretta Drexel in 1910 and succeeded as 14th Earl of Winchilsea and 9th Earl of Nottingham on the death of their father in 1927. It was he, I believe, who erected the obelisk over Denys's grave.

Mick,

Guy/Toby has been a peripheral figure so far [i'm only halfway], and the questions you ask will be answered in due course! The book is from my library, but NOT in WW1 history, but in Biography.

His sister, Gladys/Topsy, has the saddest story in as much that her two children are born 1914/1915 but her husband[Osmond Williams] dies at Loos 1915, and she remains a widow for 50 years.

Phil.

Thanks, Phil. I won £10 on the lottery today and have promptly spent £7 of it on ordering this book.

I wonder whether Topsy's really is the saddest story. She may have been a widow for 50 years, but Denys lived for just 44 years and Toby for only 53.

• Admin

Does it mention Julian Grenfell and Jack Pixley at all? I recall reading that they were planning to set up together with Jacks sister keeping house for them.

Michelle

Michelle,

More than one menage surfaces throughout these pioneering tales of a very different life compared with rather stifling Edwardian mores at home.

Julian Grenfell, and Jack Pixley, in particular, figure prominently. You would be hard-pressed to find a more pleasurable read relating to Empire, and its effect upon East Africa.

Phil.

• Admin

Thanks Phil, one to bear in mind for the bookshelves I think!

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Recently read Sara Wheeler's book on Apsley Cherry-Gerrard who was a member od Scotts Antarctic expedition. He served in the RNAS Armoured Car Division. A really good read, I will certainly buy the Denys Finch Hatton book.