The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

KW/720 George Henry Lane.Hawke Bn.

Guest BeckyLane81

Guest BeckyLane81

Hello everyone. I came accross a website tonight, www.jackclegg.com, as I am new to the forum I dont know if people are aware of it.

I have been researching my family tree for some time now and my Great Grandma married a George Henry Lane who nobody seemed to know what became of him. I came accross this website which gave me this:

KW/720 AB George Henry Lane ex 12730 Yorks & Lancs. born Monk Bretton, Barnsley-Miner. H/A 2 Charity Street, Monk Bretton. NOK Ada (my G Grandma) 193 Victoria Terrace, Cudworth. Hawke Bn. Internee, Holland.

He would have been an army recruit transfered to RNVR 07/09/1914 in the 3rd Battalion 1st RN Brigade 1914.

I understand this was Kitcheners brigade.

I did a little research and found that the majority of the Hawke Battalion were captured by the Germans or crossed into Holland and interned for the duration. From the info I have it seems obvious that he did the latter!

I apologise for all of the information here, but I am unsure of if he was killed during the war or returned? If someone can expand on this I would be grateful.

BeckyL81@hotmail.com

Becky

Welcome to the Forum.

I've had a quick look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and I can't see anyone with those details listed as a casualty, so it seems as though he may have survived.

John

Becky,

If he was interned in Holland do a "Google" on HMS Timbertown.

You will find some interesting stories of how they lived.

Bob.

I did a little research and found that the majority of the Hawke Battalion were captured by the Germans or crossed into Holland and interned for the duration. From the info I have it seems obvious that he did the latter!

Becky

The following information which is from Fevyer & Wilson’s ‘The 1914 Star to the RN & RM’ [page 63] and indicates that he was interred in Holland and did survive the war

“Lane, G.H., AB.RNVR., KW720

AI [Clasp issued/interned in Holland for the duration of the War]

Clasp Issued 5 Nov 1920

Medal Sent (to) Party 15 May 1919”

Best of luck with your further researches

Michael D.R.

Hello Becky, welcome to the forum

The Hawke Battalion and the RN Brigade were not really "Kitchener's Army". They were not even army, but Royal Navy. If anything, they were "Churchill's and Fisher's Army".

There is a brief summary of the Antwerp fighting on this page, and a detailed breakdown and history of the Royal Naval Division on this one. They may help a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BeckyLane81

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have been looking at Timbertown, one of the sites has a photo with lots of people on it, makes me wonder if George is on it somewhere but I dont know what he looks like!

• 2 months later...
Guest BeckyLane81

Hello everyone.

I would like to thank you all for your replies (i appreciate it was a long time ago since I posted my question). I managed to find my Great Grandfathers military records. I already knew he recieved a medal so I have confirmation of that (under medals & c earned column there are the letters v & b and under issued or disposed of there is the letter s) If anyone can help me with what they mean I would appreciate it.

Apart from that I got his details of when and where he was posted, his leave dates etc. All fascinating. He was interred in Holland (Timbertown) and conditions must have been pretty bad because he attempted to escape a couple of times!!!

Thought it was nice to pass on that suggestions on this forum can lead to people finding the information they wanted.

Hi Becky

On the Medals, & c., earned column these are just abbreviations for the medals :-

14 St is 1914 Star, St is 1914/15 Star, V is Victory Medal and B is British War Medal.

On How issued or disposed of column S just means sent.

Steve

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have been looking at Timbertown, one of the sites has a photo with lots of people on it, makes me wonder if George is on it somewhere but I dont know what he looks like!

You could try looking in the local paper for his locality. Might be found at the local library etc, or in London?

Many photos of servicemen were printed in the local paper. If you want to see examples, member Des 6 (and Des 7), has been posting some of men from his home town.