The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hampshire Regiment

DirtyDick

Hello

I am thinking of forming a collection of Hampshire Reg. medals of WW1.

Firstly, does anyone know the service number batches assigned to the various battalions, since I am particularly interested in collecting medals to Service battalion men from the Gsport-Portsmouth-Southampton area?

Secondly, does anyone have any Hamps medals preferably pairs or trios) for sale?

Thirdly, any information concerning recruitment would be appreciated. I would also be interested in postcards and other ephemera.

Thanks in advance

Richard

I am thinking of forming a collection of Hampshire Reg. medals of WW1.

Richard,

Do you have a particular background interest in the Hampshire Regiment?

Marc

Hello Marc

Thanks for the interest.

I live in Gosport, Hampshire, so it is of local interest. I have collected medals in the past and have a general interest in military/maritime history, and since joining this Forum it has inspired me to become more thematic in my collecting - which at present is rather haphazard! :)

(In addition, after University I was accepted for an RCB for the PWRR (ex-Hampshires and Queens/West Surreys), but did not pursue it as at in coincided with the offer of an attractive job position.)

I assume you collect to the Hamps Reg.?

Richard

'scuse my somewhat muddled word order on the penultimate line, Marc, it's just the affect of a couple of beers after a hectic day! :rolleyes:

(Any info regarding Portsmouth-area battalions/companies would be exceptionally useful.)