The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Langensalza

Guest ChristopherMcLean

Guest ChristopherMcLean

I have been looking through my great grandfather's papers. He was Lieutenant G.D. McLean DCM, 16th Bn, AIF. His papers include 3 different references to POW locations.

One document refers to him being interned at Karlsruhe, another at Langensalza and another at somewhere that looks like "Holyminden Kasse" or "Holzminden Lane" (the hand writing is very difficult to read).

Can anyone tell me if they refer to 3 different camps, or just one?. Does anyone recognise what the third name is?

His papers include some photos of the camp he was in, but the photos do not mention the name of the camp.

His papers also include a German passcard, stating:

"Der englische Ober-Leutnant G.D.McLean hat die Erlaubnis, ohne Begleitung die Stadt Langensalza zu betreten. Der Ausweis ist nach Rückkehr ins Lager dem Kriegsgefangenenlazarett zurückzugeben.

Langensaza, den 9. Dezember 1918.

(Indeciferable signature) Hauptmann und Kommandant.

(Stamped:) Gefangenen-Lager - Langensalza

I can read the German, but can anyone tell me if such pass cards were common, or if this is at all unusual?

Thanks for your help.

Chris McLean

Chris,

All three camps must have been quite separate, as Karlsruhe is in the south, Langensalza in the former east (Thuringia) and Holzminden in northern central Germany.

As far as I can tell, Holzminden Kasse is not a modern placename to be found on Google. However, if it is a placename, it may no longer be used. Kasse can mean a savings bank or cash office. In the context you mention, it may refer to a bursar's office or something like that within the camp administration. This is pure speculation on my part, but POW camps did have their own currency, so I think it is not unlikely.

I cannot find any explanation for Holzminden Lane, other than it may also have been a now disused placename. If, on closer inspection, you find that the two words are written with a hyphen, i.e. Holzminden-Lane, then it is almost certainly a placename.

Since my main collecting interest is German military records and documents, it does not surprise me that a British officer in a POW camp hospital would be issued a pass to move around outside the camp. The Germans issued (and still issue) pass cards for almost anything and everything conceivable. Obscure examples in my collection include permits to use trams in Belgian cities, bath-house facilities in France and permits to carry (not draw) rations while travelling on leave.

A friend of mine collects all types of German ID documents and pass cards from all eras, though mostly pre-1945. He has examples of permits for just about every trade, profession, club, sport or hobby you can think of from the mid 19th century until today.

/David