The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on Ypres

jdajd

I am looking for a book or books that cover the fighting in and around Ypres from 1st Ypres through 4th. I just returned from a trip there, which mostly focused on the fighting surrounding 3rd. During the visit I stopped at The Bluff/1st DCLI Cemetary and Hedge Row Trench Cemetary so something focusing on this area would be good as well as the fighting in and around Hooge. Any help would be appreciated, but books that are still in print or not too hard to find would be preferable. Thanks.

Jon

The Official Histories for the years concerned are hard to beat for the facts and figures. Have a look at any of the Battleground Salient Series. Lots of maps and well illustrated. A classic is AH Farrar-Hockley " Ypres: Death of an army" for IYpres. " Pillars of Fire", Ian Passingham for Messines Ridge. " Magnificent but not War", John Dixon for IIYpres and also " Baptism of Fire", N.M. Greenfield with a Canadian slant. There are whole libraries to choose from on IIIYpres but the current choice would have to be Peter Hart's " Paschendaele".

Good choices, Tom. You might also add Beatrix Brice's "Battle book of Ypres" and while perhaps not for the purists, I still enjoy Lyn McDonald's "They called it Passchendaele".

I'm afraid that you wil find little on 1918, Jon, and absolutely b*gger all on the final offensive, save for the Official History.

I should have said more about Ypres I and II. I have shelves of books on the III and my interest was picqued this past week as to the other earlier battles. I will look for Magnificent but not War, although I'm kicking myself for not picking it up when I was there.

Jon

I would agree with the earlier suggestion of the Battleground Europe series, the St Julien and Hill 60 books deal with 1915 and the Sanctuary Wood & Hooge deals with 1915 and 1916. Their tour sections are useful if you are going to be visiting the areas too. There is an Osprey book by David Lomas dealing with first Ypres and in terms of memoirs you could try Mud and Khaki by H.S. Clapham which is available as a reprint and has a fair amount on the Hooge area.

Ken

Another suggestion might be 'Ypres; The First Battle, 1914' by Ian Beckett.

I regret that I haven't read it myself yet, but if the author's other publications are anything to go by it should be a decent volume.

Andy

Just ordered it (from Amazon).

This book has been recommended by many, so I look forward to reading it.

Regards

Mike