The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

home in Time for Breakfast

susan kitchen

Hi Ya.

I have just read a review of a book called "Home in time for Breakfast ".It's a diary written by a young artilleryman called Stuart Chapman but has been put into book form by his daughter Margaret Chapman. it seems although his diary has what most other diaries have i.e danger, death squalor and the grinding exhaustion etc rarely have they been recounted with such detail and so devotedly. I have just got back from Slovenia so i haven't got a copy myself yet. If anyone has a copy and would like to give their opinion i would be interested. For anyone else who is interested the ISBN is 9781847480088 published by Athena Press at £6.99 paperback. As for the title. He never got home in time for breakfast but he did get home.

Susan

Excellent book - gives the detail of the daily grind of a soldier's life mostly out of action but not out of danger.

The amount of manual labour he was involved in is astonishing and it is told in matter of fact way - no dramatisation or exageration.

"February 12th 1919 - Landed home just in time for another breakfast."

Excellent book - gives the detail of the daily grind of a soldier's life mostly out of action but not out of danger.

The amount of manual labour he was involved in is astonishing and it is told in matter of fact way - no dramatisation or exageration.

"February 12th 1919 - Landed home just in time for another breakfast."

Thanks Squirrel. i'll see about getting a copy.

Susan.