The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books written by Americans who Served in BEF

jagjetta

Greetings,

I recently enjoyed reading two books from a similar vein of Great War literature: Guy Empey's Over the Top and Patrick McCoy's Kiltie McCoy. Both of these were written in the pre-1920 era and are autobiographical accounts of each soldier's service.

Can anyone recommend other similar books written during or soon after the war that reveal Americans' service in other nations' armies?

Thanks!

John A-G

Carroll Carstairs was an American art dealer who served with the Grenadier Guards and won the MC. His memoir A Generation

Missing was published in 1930.

Charles M

A Yank in the Trenches by Corporal Holmes who joined up in London where he was living and working, fought on the Somme (accompanying one of the first tank attacks) was wounded and invalided out and wrote his book in 1917 on his return to the USA

Google this as it's down loadable free

I don't have it in front of me to give you the author's name, but I have one called A New York Actor on the Western Front. It was published 1920s and the author served in the King Edward's Horse in France, and then in the Imperial Camel Corps in Palestine. It has good coverage of Ypres; the author was at Essex Farm in 1916 for example.

Another one

Kitchener's Mob by James Norman Hall - available as a free download on the Guttenberg project. Just ignore the Dick Van Dyke style mockney!