The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Paradise Lost

edwin astill

Just finished reading 'Paradise Lost' by Giles Milton. OK, most the the book is taken up with an account of the Greek invasion and subsequent recapture of the city and that part of Turkey by Ataturk. However, there is a very good description of life in the port before the war, and during ther war - in particular accounts of the British trading families, and the tolerance of the Turkish rulers.

I seem to recall that there has been some interest in Turkish atrocities in other posts, and this book will be of interest. Although in fairness (as is often the case) each side left a lot to be desired.

I got my copy from the library, but for anyone interested in that part of the world, well worth getting hold of.

Published 2008, ISBN978 0 340 83786 3

Edwin

After the death of one of my several times great uncles (in Sikkim) his widow returned to Britain with the children where she met and married the newly appointed governor of Smyrna and vanished to Turkey along with the kids. Often wondered what happened to them.

'Paradise Lost' by Giles Milton.

:rolleyes:

Yes, and after sending off the post I rushed down to the TV to watch the BBC2 programme about John Milton's Paradise Lost. Coincidence.

Edwin

I rushed down to the TV to watch the BBC2 programme about John Milton's Paradise Lost.

So did I. A damn sight better than the one they did last night on Donne.

I got the impression in reading Giles Milton's book that Smyrna itself was remarkably little touched by the war. It was almost as though it had a charmed life. I particularly remember reading a description of a dogfight with the rather 'gentlemanly' conclusion of the German pilot dropping flowers from his plane for the funeral of the two English pilots - this, after the corpses had suffered great indignities by the hands of some Turkish soldiers. (pgs 93 & 94)

The book has been very helpful to me in my research on my grandfather Rev Charles Dobson who is listed as one of the main 'characters'. Dobson was the Anglican chaplain there in 1922, and my mother was born there that year. (She will be 87 tomorow - what a start in life!)

Joanna

I forgot to say -

A nurse called Grace Williamson kept a diary in Smyrna during the war period (and in 1922). They can be found on the rather wonderful site

Levantine Plus

In case you can't find it on the page, here is the diary from the war period.

The site might be interesting for Centurion in tracking down his vanished relatives...

Joanna