The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Talbot in the First World War.

JPAE

Thanks to this months copy of 'The Automobile' , I found Jonathan Rishton's review of what looks like a jolly good read. The Publisher is The Sunbeam Talbot Darracq Register, available from John Zimbler, Stag's Head House, Whittlebury NN12 8XS. johnzimbler@btinternet.com

I quote:

'This book covers all the activities in the Talbot works during the Great war. The Talbot premises in Kensington were turned over to the war effort. In 1914-1915 they were the HQ of the Royal Naval Armoured car division. Here, experimental work led to the first successful armoured cars, and it was also in Kensington that the first prototype tank was built. The Talbot factory was the location, too, of London's first anti-aircraft brigade, defending against Zeppelin attacks. This scholarly book includes sections on the production of Talbot military vehicles, the repair of Hispano-Suiza and RR aero engines, and the difficulties in re-apapting to peace in 1919. Some military campaigns in Africa and Russia involving Talbot vehicles is included. Well illustrated with dozens of photos and maps, this is a fascinating insight into the goings on at a car factory during those tumultuous WW1 years.'

I'm ordering a copy and should be able to add to this thread in due course. £15

Phil

Hello Phil,

I'd be interested in hearing about this book. They were a pretty solid old vehicle the Talbot. One held a Sydney to Melbourne record in 1908- 25 hrs 40 mins. I don't know how they did it. It was restored a few years back and its a pretty exposed vehicle.

I've got a carby for a 4CT Talbot in the garage (1912-14) in the garage if you want to build a staff car!

Scott

• 3 years later...

Apologies for the delay in my reply. I have only just found the web site.

The topic of Talbot's interest me for 2 reasons.

Firstly I have always been interested in the Great War, knowing my grandfather was killed in it when my mother was 2 years old.

Secondly I play with Veteran, Edwardian and Vintage cars and am in the process of buying a Talbot 4CT.

I have asked for a copy of the book and would be interested in buying the carb, if it is still available!

Regards, Mike Robinson

Secondly I play with Veteran, Edwardian and Vintage cars and am in the process of buying a Talbot 4CT.

I have asked for a copy of the book and would be interested in buying the carb, if it is still available!

Welcome to the forum Mike.

An interest in veteran cars and the Great war is not unusual here.

The carby has assumed the secondary role of a paperweight but would probably like to reunite with a vehicle. Will send you a PM (hopefully you have enough posts).

Regards,

Scott

Nice, I haven't seen an Edwardian Talbot before (from memory), would be interested to see one restored - the book is still available, e-mail johnzimbler (at) btinternet.com - it's a great book with plenty of good photos, the most interesting to me were the Talbots used with 10 pounder mountain guns on the back that served with Lawrence of Arabia