The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Barracks 1600-1914, Their Architecture and role in Society

lostinspace

I am wondering if any forum members have opinions about this book, specifically - how much coverage is there of depots and barracks between 1881 and 1914? I assume from the title that Welch, Irish and Scottish barracks are not covered? One of my (many) WWI interests is the pre-war army and the network of barracks that accomodated them, this book is available here in the states but at $90.00+ is more than I want to pay if it concentrates on buildings that had already been demolished by 1914.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

lostinspace

Lostinspace

I have found it to be a useful reference work and introduction on the subject and contains many photographs, maps and plans. It covers the whole of the UK and Ireland.

Chapter Eight: 1872 – 1914: Localisation and the ‘Great Camps’ on pages 167 to 194 with two maps, one showing the Cardwell localisation Depots in 1880 and the other, Barracks built with the Military and Naval loans before the First World War, covers the period you are interested in.

If you can get a copy through your library via an inter library loan, it would give you the chance to evaluate it.

Regards

Bootneck

Hallo Gents,

with regards "British Barracks 1600-1914, Their Architecture and role in Society."

does Ireland get much of a mention? specifically locations in the west of Ireland?

Connaught Stranger.

Hi Bootneck,

Thanks very much for the above information, our inter-library loan is usually pretty efficient but they couldn't locate this book anywhere. With an entire chapter on the post-Cardwell buildings looks like it is definitely worth the $, I'm assuming that the barracks built in the late 18th and early 19th centuries are covered since a great many were still in use before WWI?

Thanks again,

lostinspace

Having just checked the book there is material on Ireland, with a number of pages on 18th Century Dublin. The maps show barrack locations in the West of Ireland, but somebody might be able to suggest any other books or articles that might be more specific.

I have found it extremely useful with regard to Scotland in the 1740s and 50s, and not suprisingly, Chatham, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

regards

Bootneck

For those of you who can get to the National Archives, there are many barracks reports in the WO 33/7 and WO 33/8 series amongst others. These are essentially reports about health and hygene, but they give detailed descriptions of the buildings along with the number of men that could accommodated. If you search around various other documents, you may also be able to find photographs of barracks that were constructed around the 1890's.

TR

I assume from the title that Welch, Irish and Scottish barracks are not covered?

Hate to point this out, old chap, but we (in 1914, at least) were the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Wales and Scotland came as part of the package, so you should be safe.

Oh, and in this context, "Welsh" has the "S", not the "C". ;)

Having just checked the book there is material on Ireland, with a number of pages on 18th Century Dublin. The maps show barrack locations in the West of Ireland, but somebody might be able to suggest any other books or articles that might be more specific.

I have found it extremely useful with regard to Scotland in the 1740s and 50s, and not suprisingly, Chatham, Plymouth and Portsmouth.

regards

Bootneck

Hallo Bootneck,

May I be so bold as to ask what names are given?

I am familiar with:-

Castlebar County Mayo,

Westport, County Mayo,

Ballina, County Mayo,

Ballaghderreen County Mayo,

Tuam, County Galway,

Galway, County Galway,

Sligo, County Sligo,

Boyle, County Roscommon,

Roscommon, County Roscommon.

Athlone, County Westmeath - County Roscommon Border

Connaught Stranger :D

Connaught Stranger

There are a number of barracks listed on the various maps in the book and I have started to make a list of the Irish ones.

James Drouet mentions the following book you might find useful, Paul M Kerrigan’s Castles and Fortifications in Ireland, 1485-1945 (Cork, 1995) and there is John R. Kenyon’s Castles, town defences and artillery fortifications in the United Kingdom and Ireland: a bibliography 1945-2006 (2008). Unfortunately, I have not used either of these works.

regards

Bootneck

Hallo bootneck, :D

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help out with my request

and thanks for the book title info.

Connaught Stranger. :D

I am considering buying this book as it appears to cover one of my own interests, namely the British Army immediately prior to the outbreak of the Great War. Does any Pal know where I can get a copy? I have searched the Amazon website but came up with a negative result.

Many thanks

Woolly

It was published for English Heritage by the Stationary Office in 1998, so probably now long out of print. I would suggest either a research library or an inter library loan.

regards

Bootneck

Hi Steven,

I'm afraid I confused "British" with "English", leave it to me to annoy all the inhabitants of Great Britain. As for "Welsh" versus "Welch" I guess I was thinking about the title of the "Royal Welsh Fusiliers" of WWI and the "Royal Welch Fusiliers" post WWI (there was a thread on this subject not long ago but now I can't find it). Anyway, thanks for the corrections and thanks to all the other forum members who responded.

Regards,

lostinspace

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

There is only a mention that Wareham Barracks were completed in the early 1800s.

Connaught Stranger,

I have just come across a list of Barracks, Camps, Forts, etc in the supplementary part of Kitzmuller's In Search of the Forlorn Hope which lists over 300 Irish Barracks, many of them taken from lists and references in articles by Kerrigan. Presently combining the two lists, but some of those listed in Kitzmuller appear to be different names for the same place or not identified fully. I must admit that In Search of the Forlorn Hope is a book that I am very sceptical of and have great reservations about.

regards

Bootneck