The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Flowers of the Forest - Trevor Royle

BigT

Discovered this book whilst on holiday in Scotland. It covers many areas including the performance of Scottish military formations in 1915 & 1916, the militarisation of the Scottish homeland, the resistance to war in the west of Scotland, the boom of heavy industries and the strengthening of womens role following on from wartime employment.

A very comprehensive book, however as Burns observed " The best laid plans of mice and men etc" a small thing perhaps but his list of VC is inaccurate! There is no mention of George MacIntosh VC of the 1/6 Gordon Highlanders who gained his VC at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

I too have the book although I haven't yet read it. I found it quite hard to find !

Mick

A good informative read, even allowing for the above ommission.

Definately recommend. I also picked up his compilation In Flanders

Field Scottish Poetry & Prose of the First World War. I got mine easily

enough from Amazon at the same time to bump up to free postage.

Moving stuff but well worth a look to dip in and out off

• 2 weeks later...
A good informative read, even allowing for the above ommission.

Definately recommend. I also picked up his compilation In Flanders

Field Scottish Poetry & Prose of the First World War. I got mine easily

enough from Amazon at the same time to bump up to free postage.

Moving stuff but well worth a look to dip in and out off

a very moving book indeed,the poems in old scots verse is hard to understand at times but still gives the depth of sacrifice from the highlanders perspective

however,there are loads of perfectly readable poems and prose as well.definitely recomend

Discovered this book whilst on holiday in Scotland. It covers many areas including the performance of Scottish military formations in 1915 & 1916, the militarisation of the Scottish homeland, the resistance to war in the west of Scotland, the boom of heavy industries and the strengthening of womens role following on from wartime employment.

A very comprehensive book, however as Burns observed " The best laid plans of mice and men etc" a small thing perhaps but his list of VC is inaccurate! There is no mention of George MacIntosh VC of the 1/6 Gordon Highlanders who gained his VC at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

Is that George Imlach McIntosh VC?

Is that George Imlach McIntosh VC?

Yes

Suspect that books like this will soon be best sellers as 'Scotland In the Great War' will become one of the possible subjects of study in the new look Scottish Higher which begins next year.

Len

About time for it to be taught. As for the book one of the best WW1 books I've read about the Scottish contribution.