The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Wicklow War Dead, now available

museumtom

The Wicklow War Dead by Tom and Seamus Burnell is now available to those with Irish interests. It covers the 840 war dead from County Wicklow who died in ww1 and ww2 and also includes sailors washed up on the Wicklow beaches and airmen who crashed and were buried in Wicklow.

I have now covered Wicklow, Wexford and Tipperary, and will finish Offaly in about 4 weeks.

I am always happy to do lookups for pals.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Congratulations on completing yet more research into these men. They played a role in history which should never be forgotten.

des

Thank you Desmond, I am finishing up the Offaly (King's County) next and I am going through the 1916 King's County Independent newspapers at the moment. I know that there is something in there on the RIR. When I get to it I will post it for you.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom

Well done indeed, I picked up a copy of your Tipperary book a month or so ago in Dublin. Can you give me the publisher details etc for Wicklow, are they the same or even where I could get a copy in NI. Keep up the good work by the way. If you ever come across anything with a Banbridge/Co Down connection I would appreciate a PM.

Thanks, Tommy.

No connection with Banbridge in Wicklow or Wexford, there is one in the Tipperary book;

The Wicklow book can be ordered from your local bookshop, Amazon etc.

# ISBN-10: 1845889495

# ISBN-13: 978-1845889494

There is no mention of Banbridge in the Offaly War Dead. If I come across any reference to it in the future I will PM you.

Regards.

Tom.

Strangely, I tried to order this book in my local bookstore (part of a large chain) and the young girl just gave me a very confused look and told me they didn't sell books published by "foreign publishers or publishers in another country"! :angry2:

And this DESPITE the fact it's listed on their website!! :angry2:

Wonder if their bookshops in Scotland sell books published in "foreign" England? :wacko:

Mind you, it was one of the part-time evening staff so I'll head back in tomorrow and order one during the day when the sensible staff are on.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my copies of this book earlier on this afternoon.

It's been slightly repaginated but pages 181 and 182 are looking good Tom! ;):D

Again, a million thanks for that one!

Thank you Peter for the photograph and information. Glad you like it.

Kind regards.

Tom.