The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for suggestions

everclay

Hi i'm looking for suggestions on books about Signalers in the great war.

Since you all seem so knowledgeable and well read on the great war i was hoping somebody could reccomend some reading or point me in the right direction as i'm having troubles finding anything myself. I prefer a personal narrative/memoir but fact based books are more then welcome.

Anybody?

Frank Richards Old Soldiers Never Die is a classic. He was a signaller in 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers and an Old Contemptible who won the DCM and MM.

Charles M

Brigadier L.H.Harris "Signal Venture" covers his time as a linesman with the Australian signals during the First War, between the Wars as a Telecommunications Engineer of the Post Office and a Officer in the TF and his time in WW2

The definitive book is The Signal Service ( France). One of the volumes in, Work of the R.E. in the European War 1914-19. Compiled by R. E. Priestley. Reprints are available from N&M Press. A good description of the problems faced and how they were solved.

Thanks for the information everyone it was helpful.

The definitive book is The Signal Service ( France). One of the volumes in, Work of the R.E. in the European War 1914-19. Compiled by R. E. Priestley. Reprints are available from N&M Press. A good description of the problems faced and how they were solved.

This book is available on line here...

http://www.archive.org/details/signalserviceine00prie

Andrew