The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte H Bailey 8th Bn Hampshire Regt

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Today in sorting out a box of old ephemera, I came across a certificate to this soldier '242387 Rfn H Bailey 8th Hampshire Regt', thanking him for his service with the Egyption EF. Were these certificates common issue?

Any info on this soldier Marc?

Ian :ph34r:

Guest Pete Wood

It's terrible, and inevitable. It's the crash you can see coming.

I feel like the chicken who hears a knock on the door of the hen-house - and I know that the fox is outside......

Okay. Ian, should you have any wish to sell the said article, I might (you know I mean, WOULD!!) be interested. That's because he served with the Isle of Wight Rifles, and I admit to having a little interest in their history <_<

I don't believe Harold Bailey was an 'Islander.' But, hopefully, Marc can tell us more - his number is also unusual.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I don't believe Harold Bailey was an 'Islander.' But, hopefully, Marc can tell us more - his number is also unusual.

Do you mean to say that he has a copy of Bailey's MIC, medal roll, part service record and photograph of Bailey in uniform like me?

I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Forget to mention this certificate is in its original envelope of despatch with Bailey's address on the front......................

Guest Pete Wood

And here I am swallowing the bait...... :lol:

Come on Big 'un, spill the beans with the info. Where is he from, and what's the deal on his number? His number seems to be in a batch that was issued to 15 Hants, too. Did he end up being sent back to the UK, sick amd was then re-numbered?

Oh yeah, and PM me with the damage if it is for...... :ph34r:

Do you mean to say that he has a copy of Bailey's MIC, medal roll, part service record and photograph of Bailey in uniform like me?

I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Well I have a copy of his MIC - 1 out of 4 ain't bad I suppose. :rolleyes:

RT - Having passed the 10,000 mark on my database last week (yippee!) I can tell you that this number sequence can be found across almost all the Hamps Battalions and seems to be post 1916. I don't really have enough data, knowledge or intelligence about service numbering to explain more :(

Come on IB, what's the deal on his number then?

Any chance of a scan of his photo?

Guest Pete Wood
RT - Having passed the 10,000 mark on my database last week (yippee!) I can tell you that this number sequence can be found across almost all the Hamps Battalions and seems to be post 1916. I don't really have enough data, knowledge or intelligence about service numbering to explain more :(

Marc, I only commented on the number as not one soldier who was killed in 8 Hants appears to have a number from this 'batch.'

When Ian first posted this exciting (for me) bit of info, I put the number into CDGW CD-Rom, and you're right Marc - it appears to be across the board. However, there seemed to be a few more 15 Hants soldiers (who died) with numbers close to this.

I have found a couple of officers who were posted from 8 Hants to 15 Hants (in time for the attack on Flers in September 1916), and wondered if maybe (as it was quiet in Palestine/Egypt) if there was a connection; former sick 8 Hants men being sent to France instead of returning to the sun.

It was only a theory, and I'd hoped that this chap's number might throw some light on the subject.

Marc, he's a big lad is that Ian. We'll never be able to hold him down, while he is sober. You and I will have to pour a few dozen glasses of the black stuff down his neck at the next TF Study Group meeting to get the info out of him. ;)