The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

time wasters

eddie1946

I often send info, scans or photos to people but I suppose I occasionally forget or lose the email address. So a gentle reminder if I forget please. Incidentally, I have a nagging thought that I said I would scan something and send it a few months ago (I was waiting for a new scanner at the time so could not do it immediately). Now I cannot find the email, PM or post; so if you are waiting for some scans from the Glencairn Memorial Book, please send me a PM.

RE: Eddie

I would be very surpised if this is the case. I have never experienced it - but....perhaps, never say never.

Is it possible that there is a technological source?

IE: a mistyped email address from you? so the files never made it? or large files rejected by your ISP/Email Server as over the limit? or incoming mail interpreted by either your ISP or mail program as spam and redirected to your spam and/or delete box (this is quite common with attachments)

Some ISPs automatically block some senders (based on high incidence of spam and or malware attacks originating from the senders server) in this case it is possible neither the recipeint nor the sender would be notified of the block. I ran into this with a forum member with whom I regularly exchange information - the solution was simply to use a different email to send from.

Regarding the search facility - I always try to use it before posing a question but it certainly is not foolproof (as I have demonstrated :blush: )

Chris

I have helped and been helped by, numerous members over the last couple of years. It is a superb place for such sharing, I know of none better, 1st World War or otherwise. I sometimes ask for information and am delighted by the result. In return I try and help whenever and wherever I can. I did let someone down recently after saying I would get a photograph. As it turned out I couldn't so sent a message apologizing. I may (and I honestly do not know) have let someone down and if someone sent me a message asking how I was getting on etc. I would be gutted and try and rectify the problem or at least send humble apologies. Better to say something in private to someone than to criticise generally.

Jim

Eddie

How many photos or documents have YOU sent to others ?

all that were requested If I say I will do something i do it and if someone does reply to my post I always thank them. could be it is age thing but it takes nothing to be polite and say thank you

eddie

Eddie

A thought: were these offers of info posted by the person offering with a request to PM them with your email address? And did you post your email address on the thread where the info was offered? Could be why they haven't seen your request?

As I say, just a thought.

Jim

As the recipient of it must be at least 50 or nearer 100 pics from forumites, all I can say is a big thank you to all who kindly give their time time and consideration to us "beggars"., Sometimes pics requested dont arrive for a variety of reasons, time Im sure is the major issue, its not that we are paying for them. So the answer is try again and be grateful if someone cares enough to try to help. Gareth

I would like to add that I have been amazed and humbled by the overwhelmingly positive response of forum members to my requests for photos. I cannot go far enough to express my gratitude for their generous contributions of time and effort (and personal expense when items were mailed) to help me extend my regimental site to include Great War grave photos.

Michael

• 8 years later...

Just came across this page - I have always found the members most helpful when I ask questions - and always post a thank you for their efforts - I know this is an older post and I have information and photos of 4423 LCpl J Barbour Glasgow Highlanders - I will PM him and hopefully he will pick up my message and I will send all the items I have - My interest is The Glasgow Highlanders and if anyone needs info I might be able to assist

Raymond Bell

Edited by keithmroberts
Forum Rules.