The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Philip Warner

Steven Broomfield

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon seems to be the place for us out of towners :) Have ordered Corrigans Loos 1915 from them, should get it in

about 10 days all up. Recently ordered a DVD from them, unavailable in Oz the original copy cost about 29 pounds

Amazons was 4.88 with postage came to 7.6 pounds a bargain.

The Warner book is poor, though the accounts by those that were there is not too bad!

'Unfavourable ground' is excellent as is Llyod's book 'Loos 1915' which comes from a more higher command angle. He is in places critical of Haig, to which I agree in this battle. I did not enjoy Corrigans book as much.

I will be interested to see what you make of Corrigans book?

Regards

Arm

I agree with Arm's view. The anecdotal accounts in Warner's book are very interesting, but you have to use some other book to give the overall context and the timeline for the battle.

Robert

Hi Arm,

thats the trouble with having to order from afar. Had the choice of either book - Lloyd's or Corrigan's, so will

see will post a review after I've had a chance to read it.

• 1 month later...

Well I eventually plumbed for Nick Lloyd's LOOS 1915 and finished it while on holiday. As the book was based on his thesis for Phd

I would have presumed that he did enough to earn it. The book is total fact and that is possibly the reason that I could put it down

without any loss. To me a little scuttlebutt would help to keep up the interest, however it was a good read and well written.

Incidentally while on holiday I managed to find a book by Martin Middlebrook entitled "The Kaisers Battle" in a second hand book

store. It was written in the 1970's and am looking forward to getting into it

You won't be disappointed with that one either.

Martin Middlebrook always said that "The Kaiser's Battle" was his best book, but one that did not receive the acclaim others such as "The first day of the Somme" did. It is well worth finding and reading.

Cost me 8 bucks (about 4 GBP) and in very good condition. Second hand books can turn up bargains

from time to time

• 6 months later...
I agree with Arm's view. The anecdotal accounts in Warner's book are very interesting, but you have to use some other book to give the overall context and the timeline for the battle.

I couldn't leave it alone!

This book came my way a few weeks ago, the Pen & Sword reprint with the interesting cover. It was less then beer money and I didn't expect much with its reputation. I have to agree with the majority here- it is strangely constructed to the point where it could be described as a collection of letters with an introduction outlining the battle.

I do agree that the letters are its saving grace and have been enjoying reading them. An anonymous letter from a young boy joining the Post Office Rifles to join his brother and ending up in Loos just prior to the action is one that stands out. I don't know a great deal about Loos and I think I might look out for Mr Cherry's book now to learn a little more.

On a different line of thought, I think the book represents a missed opportunity. All those letters, some ending with the veteran offering more information if the author requested it. Had it been tied in chronologically with events, as mentioned above, it may have been very good.

Overall I felt that the accounts made it worth reading.

Scott.