The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Queen's POWs

bootneck

Bootneck

Does the list at Surrey History Centre only contain ORs?

The "List of British Officers taken prisoner in the various Theatres of War between August, 1914, and November, 1918", compiled from the records kept by Messrs, Cox & Co.'s enquiry office contains the names, battalion, date reported missing, date & place interned (in some cases) and the date repatriated (or died) for 62 Officers of the QRWS and 57 Officers of the East Surrey. Not a comprehensive list; but worth using as a cross reference and checking for sometimes elusive names.

PM me if you want the details of these Officers. As always I am happy to do look ups.

Andy

Andrewr

No problem, I missed out that the regimental title was actually the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment and I see two companies were captured at Kut.

Andy

I have a copy of the book from N & M Press. The list at Surrey History Centre only contains one officer, a Quartermaster and honorary Lieutenant. Did you manage to get to the last Surrey WFA meeting and see the display Jenny brought along from the History Centre.

regards

Duncan

Unfortunately Work prevented me from attending the last meeting :(

Andy

• 5 years later...

Well I did write something but the attachment has covered it up and now I don't seem able to edit it.

To cut a long story short, a first time poster back in December asked about a relative, a James Colin Preedy, a 1st/5th Battalion man. He thought he might have been serving with the 2nd Norfolks when they were besieged in Kut. I've updated his thread with some responses, but along the way I found the above newspaper clipping.

I've updated the original thread with some basic details for each of the 31 men listed - name and service numbers from the Medal Index Cards, original place of burial where known from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and whether the International Red Cross has anything, plus a quick statistical analysis - 24 out of the 31 died in captivity, (77%), 12 of them died  at Yarbashi, and there are only IRC files for 7 of them, (23%), of which 5 were opened in receipt of a missing persons enquiry rather than as a result of information received from the Turkish Red Cross, (71%). However one of those files is for Horace Maxfield - the person contacting them says he has officially been missing since before the 26th December 1915.

James Colin Preedy is actually listed as dying on the 29th April 1916, but he is buried at Adana in Turkey. That only makes sense if he was captured earlier, or if the period of death should be "Between the 29th April 1916 and the 31st December 1916". Of those that died, 2 were on the 29th April and 5 on the 31st December, so potentially something may have got lost along the way,

My interest is the Norfolk Regiment side of things, so I'm not planning to follow this up any further - just thought I'd put the information where it might be of some relevance.

Hope that helps,

Peter