The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chanak Incident 1919-1923 3rd Heavy Battery

reevemjr

Can any one help me with information on the 3rd Heavy Battery at Chanak in 1922 and 1923. A Captain Richard Shrive was there with the RGA and a battery of 8in Howitzers but although I have a number of his photographs taken over this period I have not been able to find details or diaries written by individual soldiers who were present. I was told that the troops spent their time behind barbed wire at Chanak and the Turkish troops marched up to the wire with rifles on 'a backward slope' so show that they did not wish to attack but that the British and their allies should go home. However, it did not seem to restrict the officers from going on shooting parties on the peninsular, shooting feathered game and going on wild boar hunts.

The three photographs are interesting but unfortunately the names of the men are not known to me. (The officer 5th from the left middle row is Richard Shrive)

post-46986-1246776964.jpg

The 3rd Heavy Battery

The 3rd Heavy Battery possible at Chanak and 8in Hows. landing at V or Y Beach, Seddul Bahr, Gallipoli - Oct 1922 - Does anyone know the ship's name?

Regards

Mike

post-46986-1246778138.jpg

post-46986-1246778301.jpg

8in Hows. landing at V or Y Beach, Seddul Bahr, Gallipoli - Oct 1922

Mike,

the picture on the right above shows 'V' Beach, with the fort in the background

['Y' Beach was in fact not a beach at all, just a 'bl**dy cliff']

The most famous campaign feature of 'V' Beach would have been the 'River Clyde' but she was removed in 1919. I am sorry that I cannot help you with the ships in your photograph

regards

Michael

The 3rd Heavy Battery possible at Chanak

The 3rd Heavy Battery possible at Chanak and 8in Hows. landing at V or Y Beach, Seddul Bahr, Gallipoli - Oct 1922 - Does anyone know the ship's name?

Regards

Mike

This is General Harrington aboard Huntsend during the Chanak Incident, exact date or place not known but must be between 1922 and 1923.

Mike

post-46986-1246827240.jpg

• 2 months later...
This is General Harrington aboard Huntsend during the Chanak Incident, exact date or place not known but must be between 1922 and 1923.

Mike

Does anybody know where the 3rd Heavy Battery was raised. I have found a reference to a 3rd and 4th Heavy Battery in Malta but these seem to be static. Help!

Mike

• 4 months later...

All

Since making these posts I have further information. Although the photographs do refer to the Chanak Incident, it seems they were all taken on the European side where the 8'' Howitzers were located not at Channak. All the men in the photographs were 1st World War RGA.

Woolwich has kindly sent me some details of the history of the 3rd Heavy Battery which adds to the story. It seems that that there was also the "4th Heavy Battery" and possibly 2 others perhaps also "1st & 2nd". The Malta reference is a red herring as these new batteries were formed especially for this Incident.

The document details are as follows:-

Historical Record – 3rd Heavy Battery RGA

Formation – The battery was formed under authority War Office Cipher ******** No 91156 dated 21-9-22 and CRGA Northern Command No GRNC 14459/9 RA dated 22 -9-22.

These stated that D. & C Coast Batteries were to be amalgamated to form 3rd Heavy Battery of 1st Heavy Brigade, to be equipt with 4-8 inch Howitzers then in charge of E Coast Battery.

Officers to be posted by GOSC Commands. Establishment 6 officer, 146 OR and one RAOC Artificer attached, and all to be ready for embarkation by 30th September 1922.

Officers – Major G A Hassells-Yates, Captain W A V Thomas, Lieuts Grundy, Crane, Shrive & Suddick.

A priority telegram notified the O.C. that guns equipment were to be loaded on AMT "Hunnie" at Glasgow on 26th September leaving Catterick on 24th.

Very few men being immediately available, 100 ORs of Green Howards were sent to Catterick Camp from Richmond to carry out entrainment on Saturday & Sunday 23rd and 24th of guns & stores.

These were despatched on 24th in charg of Lt Suddick & 4 other ranks by special train.

Between 23rd & 24th personnel to complete establishment joined from Dover, Sheerness, Portsmouth, Great Yarmouth, Tynemouth.

Embarkation – The battery entrained with full establishment (Less 'Hunnie' party, I officer 4 OR) at Catterick Camp on 29-9-22.

Arrived at Southampton & embarked on HMT "Corsican" for the Dardanelles.

Disembarked at KELIA LIMAN (European Side) on 11-10- and encamped there guns & stores remaining on "HMS Hunnie"

On 29-10-22 the Battalion was moved to a covered position with guns covering the Asiatic Side at the entrance to the Dardanelles

The guns + one tractor were put ashore by means of a 50 ton floating Sheers and a small existing pier.

The guns were reported ready for action by 5-11-22.

Command – Major Hassells-Yates, having been notified of his pending retirement preceded to UK on 29-10-22 having handed command over to Cap. W A V Thomas.

General – The battery encamped close to the gun position under canvas & during the winter encountered some very severe weather. The men suffered somewhat from cold though there was very little sickness & no casualties.

All men were in Nissin Huts by 1-1-23

Rations were conveyed by the Sea & after a few modifications this arrangements worked very well.

The battery took from England the 6 – 8inch howitzers which had been held by 'E' Coast Battery & while at KELIA two howitzers with their equipment were handed over to 4th Heavy Battery who had up to then no armament.

Owing to the international crisis which had brought the battery from England, war conditions were instituted in the battery. A loan enceinte & strong points for defensive purposes were constructed around the camp and a wireless apparatus attached from Royal Corps of Signals. W AV Thomas Capt **-4-23

CONFIDENTIAL No. 781 Copy

Officer I/C

R.G.A. Records

DOVER

Herewith Transcript from the Historical Records of H.Q., & D.E., R.G.A. Tyne & Tees Defences, and "D" and "E" coast Batteries R.G.A.

Section. 8

12-9-23. The Third Heavy Battery R.G.A., returned to Catterick Camp from Turkey.

14-9-23. The 3d Heavy Battery R.G.A., was disbanded. Its complement was reformed into "D" and "E" coast Batteries R.G.A., and R.G.A., details Catterick Camp were also absorbed into "D" and "E" coast Batteries R.G.A.

Tynemouth

26-3-1924

(Sgnd) H.F.L.Grant

Major & Bt. Lieut. –Colonel .G.A.

Tyne and Tees Defences

I still would still like to identify the men in the photographs and those mentioned in these documents (I am investigating the MICs) as they were all 1st War R.G.A.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Bit late but - The Lt. Suddick here is likely to be Lt Robert Hall Suddick of the R.G.A.

He was raised from Sgt to 2nd Lt on 13 jun 1918 and then to Lt on 13 Dec 1919

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late but - The Lt. Suddick here is likely to be Lt Robert Hall Suddick of the R.G.A.

He was raised from Sgt to 2nd Lt on 13 jun 1918 and then to Lt on 13 Dec 1919

Craig

I seem to have lost your post probably finger trouble and will post a photo of A Suddick in Gallpoli in 1922 as soon as I can.

Thank you for the medal card, quite a lot of information there, but I was unable to find much on the net. I did find some records on findmypast which but this does not help me with his army career. but may help you if you do not already have details:

1901 Census

Birth Year Age Sex Registration District County Household

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1890 11 M Houghton Le Spring Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1847 54 M Chester Le Street Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1894 7 M Chester Le Street Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1865 36 M Auckland Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1881 20 M South Shields Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert H 1895 6 M Middlesbrough Yorkshire (North riding)

Household SUDDICK, Robt 1894 7 M Chester Le Street Durham

1911 Census

Birth Year Age Sex Registration District County Household

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1864 47 M Auckland Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1894 17 M Chester Le Street Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1847 64 M Chester Le Street Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1890 21 M Sunderland Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert 1881 30 M South Shields Durham

Household SUDDICK, Robert Edward 1894 17 M Chester Le Street Durham

Craig

Gallipoli, Interior of Officers Mess, Suddick at breakfast, 30th of the month

Mike Reeve

post-46986-031065000 1291536748.jpg

Here's a pic of the camp & maps of the British units at Kilia & Chanak the info is from the R.E. Journal Vol XXXVII No3 Sept 1923. If you would like a copy of the chapter, PM me with your e-mail.

Map No1

Map No 2

post-7206-083393700 1291747804.jpg

post-7206-071044200 1291747892.jpg

post-7206-018427600 1291747936.jpg

• 11 months later...

themonsstar

I am very sorry but for some reason I did not pick up on your post and here we are a year on. I started to investigate again and there was your post.

The images are just the sort of information I wanted and your help is most appreciated.

If you are still registered to the Forum can you tell me where I could get a copy at this late stage. of R.E. Journal Vol XXXVII No3 Sept 1923.

Mike Reeve