The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank Action in the Great War - Ian Verrinder

delta

Ian's book is a good read - not just a family history but a well researched piece of writing covering the action of B Battalion HB MGC / Tank Corps during 1917. Many new pictures and clear maps, I can thoroughly recommedn it (and it's on special offer with Pen and Sword too)

Well done Ian

Thanks for the positive words chaps.

Having spent many hours getting the thing published it has only just dawned on me that somebody might actually read it!

I'm now like an expectant father - nervous.

Regards,

IAn.

Ian, you have done an excellent job. For anyone who has a general interest in the Tank Corps, say a relative who served in it, then you have provided a very readable overview of what it might have been like. There is information about the recruitment, training, day-to-day life between battles, and the experience of fighting in a tank. By using a group of 'pals' as the focal point, you have made it easier for readers to understand what relatives might have gone through.

What I appreciated most, given that I have read many anecdotal and other accounts of the Tanks Corps, is that you were able to focus on one unit, particularly at the battalion level. This made it much easier to understand how such a unit operated in major battles. Typically, accounts give generic examples from a battle (eg various examples of what happened across the Cambrai battlefield) or a high level view of the battle as a whole. It was very interesting to read about the role of B Battalion in the three actions during the battle, including the need to create composite units for the attacks on Cantaing and Fontaine.

Basically, something for everyone.

Robert

About half way through the book and can only endorse Robert's comments.

All very well explained and a great resource for anybody looking at the battle of Cambrai for detailed information on a "small" section of tanks.

Finished the book and very impressed - just one slight niggle, on page 141 it refers to the "water jacket" on the Lewis Gun when describing how the gun was easily put out of action when the jacket was damaged. The Lewis was air cooled IIRC or am I missing something? Thoroughly recommend the book though.

I read this to mean damage to the 'jacket' around the barrel of the Lewis gun. It was not a water jacket, as you rightly point out.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've now had time to re-read the book again for what seems like the hundreth time, so I thought I ought to reply. The water cooled Lewis gun on page 141 is a gaff for which I must apologise and one that should have been picked up during the proof reading phase. I've also noticed a couple of other minor cock-ups that shouldn't have slipped through the net either. However, they shouldn't really spoil it for anyone enjoying the basic theme.

All I can say in defence is that as an amateur you learn as you go along. I got a couple of mates to do some proof reading but did the bulk of it myself. In the end it can be difficult to take in the sense of the text because your mind tends to think it knows what comes next and won't take in what's actually sitting there on the page. Anyway, as they say, any errors are mine alone.

By the way, I'm happy to answer any other queries about the book if anybody has any.

Regards,

Ian.

Ian,

Guessed that was the case and thank you for the reply - I appreciate the perils of self editing/proof reading - I usually have to edit most of things I post on here let alone anything longer.

I just thought that there may have been a water cooled Lewis Gun, an experimental type perhaps, that I had missed somewhere.

I would thoroughly recommend the book to anybody with even a passing interest in the tanks

Well written, nicley paced, good detail without requiring an expert knowledge and a good insight in to the life of of a small unit of tanks. Really excellent IMHO.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

I've now had time to re-read the book again for what seems like the hundreth time, so I thought I ought to reply. The water cooled Lewis gun on page 141 is a gaff for which I must apologise and one that should have been picked up during the proof reading phase. I've also noticed a couple of other minor cock-ups that shouldn't have slipped through the net either. However, they shouldn't really spoil it for anyone enjoying the basic theme.

All I can say in defence is that as an amateur you learn as you go along. I got a couple of mates to do some proof reading but did the bulk of it myself. In the end it can be difficult to take in the sense of the text because your mind tends to think it knows what comes next and won't take in what's actually sitting there on the page. Anyway, as they say, any errors are mine alone.

By the way, I'm happy to answer any other queries about the book if anybody has any.

Regards,

Ian.

Tank Action in the Great War

Ian Verrinder

Ian, I am a new member of this forum and only joined because I Google'd my great uncles name on a whim: Sjt (as it was in 1917) F W Bailey MM.

I was amazed to find a chat about him on this forum took place three years ago.

In April having bought the book "Following the tanks at Cambrai" by a French guy called Phillipe I went to Cambrai to meet him. He took me all around the battlefield paying particular attention to the route of B Battalion. He showed me where my uncle had his last breakfast and then the route through to his final moments at the top end of the main street in Fontaine Notre Dame. I now have a photo of myself exactly at the point of his demise and it has closed a family chapter. I say this because my family (mothers side) only knew he was KIA and no one really knew how or where.

Phillipe also said a new book about the tanks of B Battalion was going to be puplished soon; could this have been yours? I shall buy a copy of your book anyway.

If you are interested I am the custodian of my uncles MM but unfortunately the citation that goes with it has been lost over the years. I do know how he won the medal though through family history.

I also have some letters and a couple of photos of him.

Phillipe also gave me a copy of B28, Black Arrow taken on the afternoon it was knocked out which I believe is quite unusual as most photos of B28 were taken some time after the KO.

Keefy

I know Philippe well and he was a great help and inspiration when writing my book. The book covers B Battalion's action at Fontaine-Notre-Dame in as much detail as I could find. The fate of B28 is known through the photographs taken by the Germans after the battle and by the casualty lists. These present the outcome but say nothing of the personal story of the men themselves.

I hope you find the book interesting and I will draw your particular attention to page 127. If you have any questions after reading the book I will be more than happy to try and answer them. If you send me a PM via the forum, I'll send you my e-mail address. I'd certainly like to see a photo of Fred.

By the way, did Philippe make you phone an Englishman during your tour of Fontaine? If he did it was me! I remember receiving a rather excited call from Philippe one day and he passed me over to a bewildered Englishman, could it have been you?

Regards,

Ian.

• 9 months later...

Very pleased to report that I picked up Ian's book at a charity shop recently and am enjoying it very much. As has been said concentrating on a single battalion is great idea.