The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte.Edgar Ward 1/6 Royal Highland Black Watch

charliebabbage

My grandfather Edgar Ward, from Yorkshire, DOB 18.5.92 joined the 1/6 Royal Highland Regiment in Perth on 10 April 1915, service no.:266046. He was injured on 31 July 1917, shipped home on 11.9.1917 & discharged from the RASC on 10.11.1919 no:383366. My cousin found his Field Medical Record card (at the PRO? ) so we have information on injuries. Can anyone advise me on the best source for getting an understanding of the actions Edgar & his regiment were involved in please ? He was told he would never have children so was incredibly lucky !

Charlie,

I you look on the fron page of this Site you'll find Chris(our Supremo) has provided a Research Room(How to research a Soldier).If you enter the Units of The Army Site and find the Black Watch you will find the WW1 history of your Grandfather's Battalion.It's efforts will make you proud but then again I am biased as my Uncle served in the same Division!.

George

Thanks George-I obviously haven't explored the site well enough-or been distracted with the other Grandad . I will look now.

Carol

• 4 months later...

Hi

Your grandfather was published in the official wounded lists in the Scotsman newspaper on 7th Sept 1917, the list was compiled under various dates so unfortunately does not give the actual date of wounding.

There was another E Ward No.3245 wounded published 19th Dec 1916, was your grandfather renumbered?