The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th Meerut Division

DDP1955

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Just for your information, Karen, CFA stands for Combined Field Ambulance and here is an explanation I found from a book called Allenby's Military Medicine by Eran Dolev

CombinedFieldAmbulance.JPG.4c59f7e05eb27e4a13c732f56f8f29c3.JPG

Thanks Charlie for this information.   My sister has picked up this info from the internet but I'm still awaiting confirmation of the 105707 part.

Royal Army Medical Corps - Infantry Div. of British India Army which formed part of the Indian Army during WW1
October 1914 Medical Unit
130th Indian Field Ambulances
E.E.F.    (Egyptian Expeditionary Force)

Karen

It's the day-to-day account of the unit's location and activities. The download will be appropriate for most of your subject's service for 1917.

The other Diary will take it through to the time of his discharge.This diary would have many pages and the cost of copying may be high, though I do believe that Kew will give you an estimate.

Karen,

Just to recap:

Given that your GF does not appear to be entitled to the 1914/15 star this would mean he went overseas after 1st Jan 1916.

Given that he has 2 overseas service chevrons in the undated photo this means he must have gone overseas before November 1916.

The 7th Meerut Division was in France until the end of 1915 then embarked at Marseilles and arrived at Basra, Mesopotamia (Iraq) in Spring 1916. There it participated in a number of battles ending with the capture of Baghdad in March 1917.

"The division moved from Mesopotamia to Egypt in December, and then on 1 April 1918 it relieved the 52nd (Lowland) Division, which was on its way to the Western Front. The EEF undertook few operations during the hot weather of Summer 1918, but the Meerut Division captured 'North Sister' and 'South Sister' Hills on 8 June, and raided 'Piffer Ridge' on 27 June. It subsequently took part in Allenby's advance through Palestine, including the Battle of Megiddo as part of Lieutenant-General Bulfin's XXI British Corps operating on the right flank" (source Wikipedia).

What we don't know is whether your GF joined the 130th CFA when he first went overseas or was it later. It is possible that he joined them in Mesopotamia and then followed them to Egypt and Palestine. So he probably never went to India, unless for demobilization after the end of the war. We haven't a date for his demob. Do you know anything more? Any family history rumours?

Charlie

Edit   Another bit of info. Looking at Service numbers close to his, they all enlisted in the north of England (different places) in the first two weeks of December 1915. It is most probable your GF did the same. How quickly he would have been trained before going overseas I don't know but I would suggest that he probably didn't go early 1916 unless he previously had relevant experience? (other forumites will be better able to answer this)

Edited by charlie962

22 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Karen,

Just to recap:

Given that your GF does not appear to be entitled to the 1914/15 star this would mean he went overseas after 1st Jan 1916.

Given that he has 2 overseas service chevrons in the undated photo this means he must have gone overseas before November 1916.

The 7th Meerut Division was in France until the end of 1915 then embarked at Marseilles and arrived at Basra, Mesopotamia (Iraq) in Spring 1916. There it participated in a number of battles ending with the capture of Baghdad in March 1917.

"The division moved from Mesopotamia to Egypt in December, and then on 1 April 1918 it relieved the 52nd (Lowland) Division, which was on its way to the Western Front. The EEF undertook few operations during the hot weather of Summer 1918, but the Meerut Division captured 'North Sister' and 'South Sister' Hills on 8 June, and raided 'Piffer Ridge' on 27 June. It subsequently took part in Allenby's advance through Palestine, including the Battle of Megiddo as part of Lieutenant-General Bulfin's XXI British Corps operating on the right flank" (source Wikipedia).

What we don't know is whether your GF joined the 130th CFA when he first went overseas or was it later. It is possible that he joined them in Mesopotamia and then followed them to Egypt and Palestine. So he probably never went to India, unless for demobilization after the end of the war. We haven't a date for his demob. Do you know anything more? Any family history rumours?

Charlie

Edit   Another bit of info. Looking at Service numbers close to his, they all enlisted in the north of England (different places) in the first two weeks of December 1915. It is most probable your GF did the same. How quickly he would have been trained before going overseas I don't know but I would suggest that he probably didn't go early 1916 unless he previously had relevant experience? (other forumites will be better able to answer this)

Hi Charlie,

Sadly I can't get any further info as previous generations have now passed on.  I guess the best thing to do is get the info from Kew as Sotonmate suggested I do and perhaps that will resolve his whereabouts at the time.  What do you think?   K

I agree with sotonmate's advice. Download the one thats available because it is not too dear (3.50) and it will help you understand what a diary does or doesn't show. You may or may not strike lucky. Good luck. Keep us posted , please.

Charlie