The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

45th Brigade RFA

SFayers

Hi folks,

This is my first posting to the forum - and I hope someone can help!

My great-great-uncle, Horace George Parnell (97820) served as a gunner with the 5th Battery, 45th Brigade Royal Field Artillery (8th Division) during the war. He died of wounds on 27th June 1916 during the preliminary bombardment leading up to the Battle of the Somme. He is buried in the Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension together with four of his comrades from the 5th Battery who died the same day.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the 45th Brigade (or even 5th Battery) war diary exists for this period of time? What is the likelyhood of it mentioning losses and causes for that day?

Best regards

Steve

Hello Steve, welcome to the forum

45 Brigade diary exists and is at the National Archives, document WO 95/1694. Diary contents and style varies considerably. It is likely to mention casualties (numbers, probably not names and probably not specific cause unless something unusual such as a direct hit on a gun pit).

To give you an idea, there are some extracts from RFA war diaries here.

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for that! I'll be in SE England in a couple of weeks time visiting family, so hopefully I can arrange some time to visit the PRO.

Best regards

Steve