The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Other theatre Maps on CD Rom

Nick

Help wanted. I am tempted to buy a CD Rom from Naval and Military Press titled : MILITARY OPERATIONS OTHER THEATRES: 1914-1918 Maps on CD Rom but at £65 I'd have to be sure it was worth the money (or at least convince the wife that it is!). The blurb tells me all about how important the maps are, but I can't see a list of contents or even see how many or what level of detail the maps contain. At the moment I feel that I'd be taking a bit of a punt - which I can ill afford to do.

Also, If I already have the Cyril Falls' Official History Egypt and Palestine Vols 1 and Vol2P1 and Vol2pt2 do I get anything else for my money?

Any advice?

Thanks

Nick

I can't see a list of contents or even see how many or what level of detail the maps contain.

Nick

I can help with the contents but not the persuasion ;) Attached is a screenshot of the list of campaigns covered. If you want to me to send a screenshot of one or two sub-lists, then I could do that no trouble. The maps vary in quality as you would imagine, with most of them being relatively sparse compared with the Western Front trench maps. However, the reproductions are perfect, with all the ability to blow up a particular area, etc that you get with the other CDs.

Robert

post-22-1082053916.jpg

Robert,

That's very interesting and thanks for the reply. It looks like the bulk of the maps cover just the area I am looking at (Egypt/Palestine and mesopotamia). If you are able, I'd very much appreciate a look maybe at the Egypt/Palestine submenus.

I am typing with one hand while I reach for my wallet with the other....

Regards and thanks again

Nick

Robert,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to paste those up for me. Much appreciated. I think I shall have to plump for it. How fortunate that my birthday looms large.... :D

Regards

Nick

Can't comment on the quality of the maps but I think that these CD Rom's do seem to retain a fair proportion of their value at resale- by the very nature of the high initial cost of them.

The map CD does not include the sketches bound in the text volumes but includes all the large folding maps. In the case of Egypt & Palestine these were in two seperate map cases, though Map 2 was also provided in a pocket on Vol. 2 Part 1. The same applies for Macedonia (though vol 2 has Map A in a pocket at the rear). For Mesopotamia and Italy the maps were included in pockets at the front & rear of the text volumes. For Gallipoli each of the two volumes had an accompanying "Appendices & Maps" volume.

The CD does not include the Persia Maps which were in a pocket in the rear of the first official issue (HMSO 1987, if memory serves.)

If you only have reprints of the Official Histories these maps are not always included (Gallipoli were available as monochrome reprints, and monochrome reproductions of Italy & Mespot were included in pockets). Where they are provided in facsimile they are generally of a smaller size and loose some quality and also suffer from the lack of colour.

The CD is a cost effective way of obtaining the maps in full colour and they are of considerable use in understanding campaigns and actions. If you are a "map" person you should find them useful. The facility to zoom and print selectively is very useful - especially if you find it useful to be able to add your own details to a map for your own reference.

If it is just Mespot & Egypt & Palestine that interests you it is still a cost effective way to get the maps, and may develop an interest in the others .......

The Naval Operations & War in the Air Maps have not appeared on CD.

Quality is fairly good, though folds in the originals are not entirely eradicated from the scans.

Martin - Thanks very much for the detailed comments. Family history drew me towards the Egypt/Palestine campaign, but I find myself reading increasingly more on the Mesopotamia conflict and generally anything outside the trench stalemate in Europe. I therefore particularly appreciate the paragraph you have added to your "signature".

Regards

Nick

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Beware - not compatible with Microsoft Vista.

Yes NOT for VISTA, also extra costs with Shipping @ £3.85 & VAT @ £4.38 bring it up to £33.23

You do however get a mystery book that was worth £8.95 though would rather have had discount..

Still the CD arrived and am pleased with it works fine with XP and it shows the Egyptian Battle fields

I wanted with unit placement, plus lots of names , locations of hills etc that you would not normally know.