The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'Ours'. The Jersey Pals in the first World War

Maxsparky

This book maybe of interest and also connected to the Royal Irish Rifles. I assume the Jersey Pals were used as replacements after the casualties suffered by the Rifles at the Battle of the Somme?

post-43613-1247694418.jpg

After five years of research, Ian Ronayne has produced an account of the 300+ men who formed the Jersey Overseas Contingent (the "Jersey Pals"), and who left the Island to serve with the Royal Irish Rifles, and later, of the survivors who continued with the Hampshire Regiment. Ian's efforts has ensured that the story of the "Jersey Pals" no longer runs the risk of being forgotten by modern-day Islanders, and his work fills a major gap in the published history of 20th Century Jersey.

Scheduled for release on 2nd August, 2009, "Ours" is the first book ever written that deals with Jersey and the Great War.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adrian,

I know there was a contingent from the Channel Islands in the Royal Irish Regiment when the new battalions were raised in 1914. From memory they trained at Fermoy in Co Cork and served in the 6th battalion? I'll check it out further over the weekend but I do remember reading that they were conspicuous as they could speak French!

Could some pal please let me know where the book may be on sale. e.g. Amazon.

My father was one of them

Hello

Pleased and flattered to see that my book has been noticed.

Re the comment about using the Jerseymen as replacements following the Battle of the Somme, the answer is that actually the 326 'Jersey Pals' volunteered for service at the end of 1914. Subsequently, they were attached as 'The Jersey Company' to 7th Royal Irish Rifles (as note a company of Guernsey volunteers also went to an Irish regiment). The Jersey Company served at the front from Jan 1916 technically until Dec 1918 when the survivors were transferred to 2nd Hampshires.

As well as the book, I have put together a website that provides summary information on the Jersey Company and detailed information on each member. It can be found here: www.thejerseypals.com

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, congratulations on the book. Sorry about my mistake above, I presume it was the Gurnsey volunteers who went to the Royal Irish Regiment.

Hello

Yes they did. A company to 6th Royal Irish Regiment.

Also (and as a Jerseyman I am slightly embarrassed to add), Guernsey went one better and raised a second company which served as 'D' Company with 7th Royal Irish Fusiliers. Jersey stuck at just the one.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

You cant help what happened 95 years ago Ian. Thanks for the book, it found its way out to Australia very quickly

and I enjoyed the read. It cleared up a lot of detail that I never had.

But, there were given a raw deal in the end I think.

David

• 4 years later...

Firstly, with apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread.

On holiday with my better half in Jersey - we've been coming to the island for the last few years at this time of year for a getaway. It is always Jersey Walking Week when we are here, but in the past we have been busy with WW2 German concrete and Helen's family history. We did do a "Time Team" walk two years ago, about the AA positions around the airport. And we have followed two or three of the walks from Ian's later book "Jersey War Walks".

Today, Ian was leading a walk on WW1 and its impact on Jersey. We had an absolutely splendid time. Ian is an excellent guide - the walk over-ran by half an hour due to interest - and he did not mention, except at the very end and obliquely, that he had written the book which is the subject of this thread. So no hard sell.

Should you happen to be here at this time of year (do say hello) and the walks are on, and if Ian does it again - a must. And the best thing? The walk is free.