The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Q.M.S - R.D.C.

Guest debrastone

Guest debrastone
<_< Q.M.S - R.D.C Appears as 'rank or proffession' on a marriage certificate for Charles Harry Wallis dated December 1918. Was he a solider? Can anyone please confirm what this stands for?

Guest Pete Wood

It could be compared to the Home Guard of WW2 (Dad's Army). Mainly made up of elderly soldiers, who weren't fit for service overseas.

Duties were mainly guarding depots and tunnels. Also fire-watching and aeroplane spotting etc.

wheere can you find a list of ALL gravestone terms, like AB i found latley...

it is something like a seaman?

Alternatively I would recommend Howard Williamsons new two Volume masterpiece which will answer any question you can to thing of on the subject of the Great War and all those you never would have thought of asking! If only I could remeber its title...

Regards

Steve

Another Royal Defence Corps question :- I have two Silver War Badges to RDC members who served with 115 Pro Coy RDC and 109 P Co RDC. Does anyone know what a Pro Coy did and indeed what does Pro stand for? It is probably obvious once someone tells me but I am having a bit of a thick day today and can't fathom it out. <_<

Steve

Pro Coy may well stand for Protection Company. There is a chap buried in Cheltenham Cemetery of the Royal Defence Corps who was serving with 109th Protection Company when he died on 25th September 1916.

Regards

Jimmy