The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Searching Info Ranks/Duties & hierarchie

GrandsonMichael

Greetings,

Looking for a website, any info on different ranks, especially NCO's/ Warrant Officers.

It is not clear to me what a Colour Serjeant is; whether a C.Q.M.S. is higher/lower then a Sergeant Major, etc.

Also looking for what were the duties of these ranks, especially those of a C.Q.M.S. Were there differences in the duties of the same rank in different Regiments, etc.

Sorry, loads of questions, but I know by now I'm in the right place to pick lots of excellent brains....

:)

Thanks,

(Grandson) Michael

we've been here seemingly dozens of times ..... try search on Colour Sergeant or CSgt or C/Sgt or CSM or CQMS or NCOs or ............

Shorthand. CSgt was a rank.

CQMS was an appointment for a CSgt and was paid slightly more, same badge, responsibility for a Company kit, records, minor accounts, maps, reference books, sort of military clerk cum storeman.

CSM was also CSgt appointment, paid even more, right hand man to Company Commander. Badge same until 1915 when became WO II.

Now SEARCH!

Yes Sir, thank you sir, I understand things better now and aye, aye, Sir, search is in progress!!!

:wacko:

Cheers,

Michael (stripped of rank)

Yes Sir, thank you sir

Sorry about the reaction you encountered, Michael. It is very unusual on this group. Please do not take it to heart.

Robert

Please do not apologise for me. If you notice, I did give the essentials of information. Its just that the Csgt CQMS CSM wheel goes around and around, as indeed anyone can see.

Perhaps my [at this end] light hearted advice was taken ill .... sense of humour sometimes does not survive ethernet.

I did have the impression that Michael himself took it well.

Peace be with you all.

Hey guys,

Don't worry, I did indeed appreciate what I thought was meant to be humour in langleybaston1418's reply, especially the order to SEARCH...

And Robert, thanks for reacting to what you thought was not 'done'..

In my experience it can at times be difficult to interpretate the written word like in e-mails.

Cheers,

Michael

Sir?