The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Warwickshire 3rd Battalion

Guest jocharker

Guest jocharker
:unsure: Can anyone give me detail on 3rd batallion Labour corps Royal warwickshire regiment? What campaigns were they involved in? Any photos of regiment available from WW1? Does the name John Charker come to anyones mind?

The Royal Warwicks did not have a Labour Battalion. I will check my records to see if I can find if they had any Labour Companies.

However what I have often seen is a reference like this that meant the man was in the Labour Corps having previously been in the Warwickshire Regiment.

Can I ask what the reference is from and whether you have any regimental details for John Charker?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

According to his MIC:

Charker, John

Pte 2222 Royal Warwicks Regt

&

Pte 142653 3rd Labour Bn Labour Corps

This makes Pte Charker an original member of the 3rd Labour Bn which was formed from the 13th (Works) Bn Devonshire Regt.

Ian

The 3rd Labour Battalion only existed for about a month during 1917. It was then disbanded and men sent to other Labour Corps units but we have no record of where they were sent.

It was originally set up as a Home Service unit although when it was disbanded a number of the men were sent overseas.

Ian

Another man from a Midland regiment that ended up in a West Country labour battalion like those in the Hants ILCs.

Mark

Just to clear up the confusion.

It was the 3rd Battalion Labour Corps not the 3rd Battalion Warwickshire Regiment.

At the time there was a tendency to combine the Labour Corps with regimental titles as in this case. I think it was an attempt to maintain the regimental connection. However once the Labour Corps was formed in 1917 the Infantry Labour Companies and Labour Battalions (except a couple Middlesex Regiment ones) were transferred to it.

Hi Jo

I can tell you that the name Pte John Chalker No.2222 Royal Warwickshire Regiment was in the wounded list that was published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 5 August, 1916.

It does not give a battalion. As a rough guide you could say he was wounded around a week to 10 days before the name was published. Thus you are looking at sometime in late July.

On recovery he must have been transferred to a labour battalion due to him not being fit for front line duty.

Checking 'Soldiers Died In the Great War' a soldier with the next service number i.e. 2223 was killed in August 1914 and he served with the 1st Royal Warwicks. however a guy with the number 2225 served with the 1/6 Warwicks and was killed on 1/7/16.

Regards

Terry