The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somerset LI officer

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

This is one of my earliest army casualties. Have picture if any SLI types are interested. Anyone have any details of the action in which he was killed etc.

Any help appreciated. It may also fill a gap for someone else.

And demonstrate the close connection between the original Ulster Volunteers and 'big house/upper middle class' society. Note he was educated at Rugby School.

If he was 'gazetted to the 3rd Btn. SLI' in or around 1910, how and where did he get the time/opportunity to perform these other seemingly contradictory duties as the adjutant of a force which was expressly set up to oppose the will of parliament/crown?

I find these little anomalies puzzling!

Plus, I love the 'ode' at the bottom - jingoism gone completely over the top ...or what?

All the best Des

Obituary: The sad tidings of the death of Captain Robert C. Orr, solicitor, Ballymena was received on Wednesday morning, last, by his partner, Mr. Travers W. King, solicitor.

The deceased was gazetted to the 3rd Btn. Somerset Lt. Infantry about four years ago and was reported missing as from the 19th inst (December 1914). He was appointed captain of his regiment on the 3rd November after he had proceeded to the front.

He was the son of the late Mr. Robert Orr, solicitor who carried on an extensive practice in Lombard Street, Belfast and who in 1892 was joint secretary of the great Ulster Unionist Convention and was at one time service partner in the firm of Robert and Hugh Orr Solicitors, Ballymena.

The late captain Orr was educated at Rugby and was admitted as a solicitor in 1903 when he became attached to office of R. & H. Orr, High Street, Ballymena.

The late Captain Orr was appointed adjutant of the 'Irish Battalion North Antrim Regt of the Ulster Volunteers and since the inception of this movement he was most prominently identified with it, as indeed he was with everything pertaining to the cause of Unionism in this district.

he was also a very prominent figure at Larne Harbour on the historic occasion of the gun-running and distribution of the rifles to the loyalist volunteers of the county.

The deceased was a devoted member of St. Patrick's Church of Ireland, Ballymena. His mother resides at Rockside, Newcastle, Co. Down and his brother is practising as a solicitor in Lombard Street, Belfast.

'Lines to the memory of the late Capt. R.C. Orr

3rd btn. Somerset Light Infantry

He was one of our gallant townsmen,

Who gave his life to save

His country's honour from the hun

Who'd make each one a slave.

Though far away in Belgium

His heart was always here

He thought on Loyal Ulster

He was still a Volunteer.

For in the muddy trenches

Two days before he fell

He penned a message to his lads

To guard old Ulster well.

He was our gallant captain

His commands we did regard;

We'll never have his like again

To drill us round the yard.

He's answered roll call up above

His work on earth is done;

He nobly died a soldier's death,

Fighting the German Hun.

But the day is surely coming

That his blood will be avenged;

By the noble 12th Battalion

His death will be revenged.

He's gone from us forever

But his spirit will live in

The gallant lads who go to sweep

The Germans to Berlin.

Then buckle on your armour

The call comes near and far;

To go and help our brothers

To end this bloody war.

A. Lewis, Bryan Street, Ballymena.

Jimmy - thanks very much. Great help.

The link is great.

Jimmy - or any other SLI's out there. I've checked the 'timeline' on the link and when it comes to WW1 it gives numbers of battalions. The list jumps from 2nd to 4th. No mention of a 3rd Btn. yet hat is the unit stated on Orr's CWGC. :(

Any ideas?

Des

From Long, Long Trail :- 3rd (Reserve) Battalion

August 1914 : in Taunton. Remained in UK throughout the war.

How does this match up with this?

Name: ORR, ROBERT CLIFFORD

Initials: R C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Somerset Light Infantry

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/12/1914

Additional information: Son of Robert Harrison Orr and Cassandra Marchaise Orr, of 1,

Lombard St., Belfast.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 3.

Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

99% of the guys I've dealt with previous have been Other Ranks/NCOs - if the 3rd Btn. was a reserve unit and Orr moved rom it to a 'fighting battalion' why is the number of that Btn/ not given.

Confused Des.

Captain Orr is also on the Rugby School roll of honour of the 686 Rugbeians who were killed in WW1. See

http://www.rugbyschool.net/history/roll_of_honour.htm

I imagine this roll is in the school chapel.

VivP

Orr was in the 1st SomLI.

I am away from my research material at the moment, but will look up what I can about him later this week.

The 3rd SomLI was a training/draft finding battalion that never took the field in its' own right.

BRENDON.

Thanks, Desmond.

VivP

:)

Jimmy - or any other SLI's out there. I've checked the 'timeline' on the link and when it comes to WW1 it gives numbers of battalions. The list jumps from 2nd to 4th. No mention of a 3rd Btn. yet hat is the unit stated on Orr's CWGC. :(

Any ideas?

Des

The essence of all 3rd [sR] battalions was that were not designed to fight as formed bodies. Their role was to provide drafts for active service units in war. They absorbed the sick and sorry from the regular battalions, under-age regulars, the wounded, the not yet fully trained, new recruits [until sent, if at all, to Service battalions] and regular reservists until needed. There was absolutely no trade-off with the [often despised] TF battalions, as the TF was for Home Defence, the SR men were for war anywhere it happened.

An SR officer, once his obligatory training and attachment to a regular battalion was concluded, was free to do what he liked until the bugles called, and then he was under an absolute and irrevocable duty to report forthwith.

I have now got some of my research material.

As stated Captain Orr was in the 1st SomLI.

He was killed in an action in the "Plugstreet Wood" area known as the attack on the Birdcage. The attack was delivered at 2.30pm on the 19th December after a short artillery barrage of shrapnel using howitzers, a naval battery and machine guns.

Orr led the rearmost 2 platoons of B company, 1st Somersets. The men rising out of their trenches equipped with mattresses stuffed with straw, and wire cutters with a view to passing through German wire.

The records show that after about 40-50 yards the British barrage of 4.5 inch shells fell on the attacking soldiers causing considerable casualties.

Orr is described as being the only soldier to penetrate the German front line where he was shot in the head and killed instantly.

Interestingly he is given the rank of 2nd Lt in Wyrall's book. The 1st battalion diary shows him as a Captain.

also, it was the exchange and recovery of the dead after this attack that led to the 'Christmas truce' in this area.

I think that I have his service record somewhere else and will dig it out later.

Regards,

Brendon.

Brendon - what a fantastic post to meet me this evening! I've enjoyed looking through all the links and I hope Orr's picture is of some use to SLI types.

Truly brilliant bit of work forum people!

Des :D

• 2 months later...
Guest Desmond6

Brendon - must have missed this earlier. Many thanks.

Now for SLI types - I have located a newspaper picture of Orr's grave - and those of several other officers who took part in this action. I am talking about his/their 1914 wooden cross grave BTW!

I have quite a few of these pictures to process - from a lucrative new source!!! Love it.

Will post when ready.

Cheers

des