The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Boer War

Len Trim

This is an excellent read and is of course very relevant to WW1. You meet the usual villians/ heros; French, Haig, Rawlinson etc. The book is highly detailed but very readable, each chapter leaves you desperate to get onto the next to find out what happens. Read in disbelief at British soldiers charging Boers in close formation. Rawlinson, only a colonel is shocked by the stupidity. Painful to read that the Boer's could aim at the Jocks' black and white sporrans from up to 1000m. away. No wonder there were to be lots of reforms. One thing I did not know, among many, was that the British were already in khaki by the Boer War. I had thought that that was a reform that came about because of the Boer War. When was the redcoat dropped for field service?

Len

Can only second what Len says, read a borrowed copy about 5 years ago before a vist to SA, yes very readable and well written and all made sense when on the ground, unlike some books!!

Richard

I had thought that that was a reform that came about because of the Boer War. When was the redcoat dropped for field service?

It depends on which Boer War you are referring to. Pakenham's book is about the 2nd Boer War (the one Britain won). The move to drop the red coat was in part spurred by the 1st Boer War 1880-81 (the one Britain lost and so doesn't get mentioned much - her Majesty was much displeased!). However red coats were being discarded in Indian service long before then.

It is a good book. I was fortunate to have a copy bought for me in 1994 as part of a leaving present from my work colleagues when I changed jobs. I get it out fairly regularly still.

Dave

Khaki only became the official uniform after the Boer War but red coats were last worn in combat at Ginnis in the Sudan in December 1885. As said by Centurion, khaki had been worn in India for many years before.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Great Boer War", how do the 2 books compare?

One of the most interesting things for me was how some family's were split and actually fought on different sides against each other. I have 1820 British settler ancestors from both camps.