The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Joseph Whitehouse - South Staffs Regiment

Guest joseph whitehouse

Guest joseph whitehouse

I have just started to trace my grandfather's service in the Great War. He was one of the fortunate who survived. Sadly, I have very little to go on apart from the following background:

- he was called Joseph Whitehouse, b. 17.4.1896 (or possibly 1894) in Great Bridge, South Staffs

- I believe he lived there until he married so he probably enlisted or was conscripted into the Regiment from there

- he almost certainly served in the Staffordshire Regiment

- he served in France, was wounded in the leg there and convalesced in Kent

- he possibly lied about his age, as I am also told he was very young when he served

- he was apparently 'nothing high up' so I suspect he was an Other Ranks, although not certain

- he was a railwayman in Worcester after the war but I do not know what, if anything, he did beforehand.

Also, he was in the Home Guard in West Bromwich during the Second World War where he wore a peaked cap and Sam Browne so I assume he would have been of officer rank, unless senior NCOs wore such equipment.

I have written to the regimental museum as a starting point and a relative is digging out some papers and medals they think they may have in their attic.

I am also going to visit the Public Records Office at Kew to look at medal rolls and anything else that might be useful; if his servive papers survived 1940, for example.

QUESTION: Is there anything specific that others researching relatives in theSouth Staffords could advise, so I can learn from what they have done?

Thank you,

J.

Hello Joseph, welcome to the forum.

I am interested in the SSR too. There is no difference between researching them and any other regiment. I would not hold out great hopes of info coming from the Whittington museum.

The best advice I can give you is : "BE SURE TO READ THIS: if you are about to ask questions about how to find a soldier's service record, make sure you have first visited "Grandad's War" at The Long, Long Trail website. There's a link to it at top-left of this page. Be sure to read at least "The Basics", "Service Papers" and "Grandad's Medals". Then, if your questions remain unanswered, come back here."

This will give you all the specifics you need.

Joe

I like Chris am interested in the South Staffordshire Rgt.If after doing as Chris has advised you want some more information let me know and I with others on the forum will try to help.

Regards Doug.

hello joe,

the west bromwich book of rememberance lists 11 joseph whitehouse's but only one s. staffs

whitehouse joseph pte 18098 s. staffs

i hope this is the right one!

the west brom book is supposed to list all men who served in 1st w.w.

289 pages 30 odd per page alot of names!

i hope this will help

enoch