The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Don't judge a book by it's cover

Skipman

I had and lost this book years ago. I recently bought it in paperback. I suppose one shouldn't expect much from a paperback version, but, surely they could have done better than this.

Does anyone have any other examples of poor cover design?

2lbgn5l.jpg

Cheers Mike

Is this a case of puppets led by donkeys :D

Is the inside any better than the outside?

I like the book squirrel. It's one of the first books I ever read on ww1. Maybe for that reason, I am biased.

The cover reminds me of Bill and Ben.

If you saw this in a shop, you would be forgiven for thinking it was a comedy.

I would recommend the book, though.

Cheers Mike

*gigglesnort*

Did you notice the cover designer's name - Laurence Cutting. Pity the publisher didn't cut Laurence's input

I must be one of the very few who litrally.. do not judge a book by its cover!

To me, the cover could be plain white, but as long as the content is what I expect or better, I'll purchase it. I had that book also.. erm mid 1970's I believe, and I found it quite a decent read. I was stationed in Malta at the time, and used to visit a really good 2nd hand bookstore in Valleta on a regular basis. Another book I bought at the same time as this one was 'The Donkey's'. At the time the books were bought, I was reading all I could about the Somme offensive. I was also a wargamer at the time, so the cover of the 'The Big Push' actually caught my eye.

Why do individuals riducule a books design? Who cares what it looks like, or am I not ... in the groove.. for the 'in' fashion?

I did buy a book once entitled '1918 -The year of decision'. It was a paperback with a really lively and interesting B/W picture to its cover, but what a 'naff' book! I learnt my lesson that day = Stick to your subject title, but scan the books content first.

Seph

Hi Seph.

The original book I owned, had a different cover. By looking at the cover, I could tell it was a serious book, about a serious subject. The cover on this edition would almost make you think it was comic. The cover surely matters?

If I had written a serious account of the battle of the Somme, I wouldn't be happy if the publisher had given it this cover. Although, of course you are right, it doesn't alter the content.

Cheers Mike

I thought of 'Windy Miller Goes to Fight the Hun - War Stories of a Trumptonshire Miller' it just reminds me of the Camberwick Green/Trumpton.

Gaz

might try a couple he's written a few

Up the Line to Death: War Poets, 1914-18

East India Company

The Terrible Rain: War Poets, 1939-45

Mafeking: A Victorian legend

On to Kilimanjaro; the bizarre story of the First World War in East Africa

Allenby

The quest for Timbuctoo

The Big Push - A Portrait of the Battle of the Somme

European Agriculture: Policies, Production and Trade

Churchill in power,: As seen by his contemporaries

The year that changed the world: 1945

Churchill In His Time

German East; the story of the First World War in east Africa

*gigglesnort*

Did you notice the cover designer's name - Laurence Cutting.

I think changing his surname to Llewellyn-Bowen was a master-stroke. You'd take a book seriously if he designed the cover now.

I think changing his surname to Llewellyn-Bowen was a master-stroke. You'd take a book seriously if he designed the cover now.

No offence meant Steven.. but don't you think that comment is set in what used to be called 'snobbery?'... and as such, is sooooo outdated! To me.. a name means absolutelly nothing. The author could be called 'John Smith' for all I care. Its the subject matter of the book that is all important.. High-brow names can sell just as much c**p as anyone else, and quite often do.. but one pays a lot more for it :wacko:

Seph

This somehow feels wrong but here goes.

3792446181_440e97d235_o.jpg3793261458_aa2aee3fb3_o.jpg

It is the way they managed not even to have a WW1 soldier to illustrate British Regiments 1914-1918 but the publisher did a real service in reprinting it.

EDIT: In case anyone misunderstands my post, the point is the contrast between the high quality of the books and the appalling covers.

Cheers Mike

I have Heard from a very reliable source that old Mr Cutting has a brother working as a chef in one of the top London hotels and I tell you he`s not a happy man at all he is ranting cos you all know that you never ever Judge a cook by his Brother

In keeping with the thread, I could pretend that jokes go completely over my head, but I won't.

That's quite funny Joby.

Simon. Two excellent examples of the genre.

Cheers Mike

No offence meant Steven.. but don't you think that comment is set in what used to be called 'snobbery?'

Seph

Me? A snob? How dare you sir! I've half a mind to call you out.

Actually, Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen is a famous charcter on this side of the pond. He dresses like a complete berk and does house makeover shows. His star appears to have waned slightly. Sadly.

Lookee here

Not really. Fairly broad brush

First published 1961. He maybe didn't have access to documents available today.

It certainly inspired me to learn a bit more. ( I have much to learn )

Worth a read, book much better than the cover :D

Cheers Mike

Not a worthy match for the Somme, but this is my 'nursey' favourite. Written by Sister Kate Luard and published anonymously in 1916, it's one of very few diaries kept by members of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve. She left Dublin in August 1914, mobilized with No.1 General Hospital, and worked in British hospitals, Casualty Clearing Stations and Ambulance Trains. Who ever thought this appropriate for a newly published version I have no idea, but great if you want to use it for a caption competition.

Sue

post-416-1249507748.jpg

post-36349-1249507840.jpg

I'm not sure I've managed this to get the picture in my post, but good books do suffer from poor covers, and authors aren't always well served by the publicity pixies. Charles Messengers' latest book has been referred to before, and I still don't know why it's got plastic models on the front a la Brian Gardener's book, when there are oodles of photos that could have been used.

might try a couple he's written a few

Mafeking: A Victorian legend

I've got a copy of that. It also has two toy soldiers on the cover. Must have been reprinted at the same time.

RE post 20 "Diary of a nursing sister..."

Nurse to casualty, "What do you want me to write on your arm?"

Casualty to nurse, "Your phone number please".

Nurse in blue, (modeling a prototype flying machine on her head), "Keep down Sir, Remember there's a War on!".

Cheers Mike

I have Heard from a very reliable source that old Mr Cutting has a brother working as a chef in one of the top London hotels and I tell you he`s not a happy man at all he is ranting cos you all know that you never ever Judge a cook by his Brother

Ugh. Callahan would be quite happy though.

Jon