The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

KOSB's serving with Northumberland Fusiliers

Guest Iain

My grandfather served as a lance corporal in the KOSB. His War & Victory medals show his unit as KOSB yet his citations for these and his parchment detailing discharge on medical grounds ( wounded Arras 1917) show his Unit to be the Northumberland Fusiliers. Certainly, family anecdotes testify to his service with men from the North of England and he was wounded at Arras in 1917; some units of the NF were there according to recent texts. I am in the early stages of trying to research his service history and have given details to those at Kew including service number and number of his silver war badge but without success. Early indicators are that I should be able to get some info as to his record but it looks like I'll have to go to Kew myself to pursue this. What I would like to know, and this is the purpose of this mail, is does anyone know how it could be that my grandfather could see service in both the KOSB & NF? Why do medals give service as KOSB yet accompanying documentation and discharge docs give NF as his Unit? Does anybody know of details of elements of the KOSB who served with the NF in and around Arras in 1917? I would be grateful for any info relating to this

Regards to all interested parties,

Iain :unsure:

Hi Iain,

You want want to post your grandfather's respectitive service numbers with the KOSB and NF as this info may allow the relevant "expert" may be able to help you.

With regard to serving in more than one unit-it was fairly common for men to be transferred between regiments as the war progressed. Often this would be after returning from being wounded, or especially in the latter stages of the conflict when certain units needed to be reformed etc.

I think (but not 100% sure) that his medals would reflect the first unit he saw action with overseas with. No doubt someone else will be able to confirm/deny this.

Jim

Iain

In the database I am compiling of soldiers of 6th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers T.F., I have found 1 soldier who seems to have done the opposite of your man. He seems to start with Northumberland Fusiliers and then transfers to K.O.S.B.

Pte. George Atkinson - Reg. No. 4031 Nbd. Fus.

242287 K.O.S.B.

Of the soldiers who were not killed, I am only up to September 1916 and of course can only check surname initials A - H on the MIC online, so not much help I'm afraid, but the transfers you mention are common even in the small sample I have so far.

Will keep an eye out for you.

Kate