The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Maj Clive Dangar 13th Hussars

Guest stevenbec

Guest stevenbec

Can any help with this officer.

Maj Clive Collingwood Dangar is show as an Imperial Officer of the 13th Hussars who was attached to the 3rd LH Bde as BdeMaj during 1917 and later GSO grade 2 with the Australian Mounted Division in late 1917/18.

He was awarded the MC MID during the war and was WIA and returned to Australia in May 1918 where he died of wounds on the 4th July 1918.

He was an Australian born soldier who served in the British Army.

My problem is this, his commison in the 13th Hussars, appears he is not listed as one of their officers?

He is mention of a number of parts of the AWM site with the above info but someone who has the 13th Hussars history said he was not in there.

Can you clear this up?

S.B

There's a brass plaque recording Major Dangar's final resting place in the Northern Suburbs Crematorium in Sydney. I've seen it often as my late father is nearby.

Naturally, I've been curious about the man, and have wondered why he doesn't have a CWGC grave, given the date of his death.

I suppose there could be a family connection with Dangar Island in the Hawkesbury River north of Sydney.

I'll watch this post with interest.

C. C. Dangar left the 13th Hussars prior to 1914. He served in the 12th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry and then the EEF. He was awarded the MC. I'll try to check Boer War details if he has any service then.

C C DANGAR 2/lieut 5 /jan 1901, 13th hussars .served in the s.a.war in1899-1901and took part in the operations in cape colony south of the orange river in 1900, in the transvaal in may and june 1900,and in the orange river colony from may to 29th november 1900.transport officer ( graded as staff lieut ) he also performed duties of railway staff officer at piennars river ( mid ) info from army list 1904, can find no trace of him in 1910. hope this helps david