The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

trench map details

BSH

In the 2nd batt Searforth highlanders war diary there is a report of the action of the 4th-6th october 1917. but no attached mapor main map reference. There are some map references "U.18.c", "U.18.d". the action took place around a area named "19 metre hill", there are also references to trenches "Eagle", "Kangaroo", "Laudetbeek", "Beek street", "Beek avenue" plus some other places "Louis farm", "Olga houses".

Can anyone give me the main map reference number.

BSH,

The following is a section of the Bixschoote trench map. This one is 20.S.W.4, Edition 6 with trenches marked as at 18-9-17. The section I have copied is the bottom right hand corner and contains some of the places you mention.

As always, it seems that there may be other detail you need on the next map to the east, but I can't help you with which map that might be.

If you need any more of the Bixschoote map, or more detail from it, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Regards,

Ken

post-2-1082366715.jpg

When visiting langemarck German cemetery the other day our guide informed us that the concrete block-houses on the one side of the cemetery were actually part of Eagle Trench which may help to get you in the right area if you intend to visit anytime.

Regards

Terry