The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

lincolnshire regiment

andy 1

being a newbie to this forum i don't know if i'm in the right topic but here goes.

i am trying to find any info on my relatives who were in the lincs regiment,pre ww1,ww1 and after ww1 but not ww2.

there surname is FLESHBOURNE, there christian names are george,george edwin (killed on the somme 1916), walter and my grandfather john william.

i would be gratefull for any info on these men,also if anybody could point me in the right direction to research these names.

thank you

andy 1

Firsly I would check the On Line National Archive Medal Index Cards for that Surname to check if they in fact served in the Lincolnshire Regiment,Not every one served in the County regiment that they lived in,A Check of the Name in the 1901 On Line census should show you where they lived{depending on how many Fleshbourne's there are,Contemporary 1914~1918 Local Papers {deposited in the area Local library on Micro~Fiche Etc;}are a good source of information,regarding soldiers Wounded,Awarded Gallantry Decorations & Killed/Died On Active Service,Etc;This should get you off to a good start! :rolleyes:

It would appear that the On Line Medal Index Cards for FLESHBOURNE{and Derivatives}are Not yet available on line,But you could access these by attending the PRO in Person,There are Only 4 Male Fleshbournes in the PRO Census Walter Aged 5{Louth},George aged 10{Grimsby}John aged 29{Fareham}& George Aged 38{Grimsby}{probably too old by 1914 but you never know!!!Good Luck

Hi Andy.

George Edwin Fleshbourne throws up a difference in the recorded facts. According to the CWGC he was Private 6563 George Fleshbourne of the 2nd Lincolns and killed on the 9th July 1916 with Grimsby connections. However on SDGW Pte 6563 George Fleshbourne was killed on 1st July 1916 whilst with the 1st Lincolns. (Born and enlisted Grimsby). As both Battalions were in action on the 1st July (1st in Fricourt area mainly in support; 2nd at Ovillers area) i think this more likely as the date of his death, although with which BAttalion may be harder to determine. Have checked the old Lincolnshire lists from 1913 and he is not mentioned in either Battalion, but his number of 6563 means he definetly joined the Regular Lincs several years before the war. As he does not appear on these lists i would suggest he was a reservist recalled at the beginning of the war.

As for the others probably just a matter of waiting for the MICs to be put online as Harry says.

Hope of interest

CHris

Andy

Checked the Absent Voter List of 1919 for Grimsby and Cleethorpes, which further complicates matters. George Edwin Fleshbourne is listed here as L/Cpl 4774 of the R.D.C. Same address of 20 Queen Street as in CWGC. No other Fleshbournes are listed in the Absent Voter List.

Chris

Hi,

I would imagine that George enlisted sometime around 1903-4.

The regimental archivist at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life might be able to help you out with more info.

Jim

thanks for the reply guy's,

in reply to chris's message the l/cpl 4774 george edwin fleshbourne who was in the r.d.c was infact the father of the george edwin fleshbourne private 6563 who was killed on the somme.

george 4774 r.d.c had something to do with princess royal in grimsby during ww1,does anybody know if this was a ship or a military establishment of some kind.

thanks

andy 1

just another bit of info worked out from my family tree george 4774 would have been aged about 52 in 1914.

and george 6563 would have been 24 when he was killed.

walter was definately in the lincolns during the first war, he was my grandfather john williams brother.and they were both in the 1st battalion lincolnshire regiment.

although my grandfather was to young for ww1 as he was not born until 1902. i think he enlisted in 1920.

thanks again

andy 1

let me run this past you

george edwin fleshbourne father 4774.george edwin fleshbourne son 6563.

1 july 1916 george 6563 1st battalion lincolns on the somme.

george 4774 2nd (home service)garrison battalion later to become the r.d.c.in august 1917.

the when the cwgc made there lists of war dead they got the wrong george edwin

they got the father 2nd battalion instead of the son,the first battalion.

the only thing is i can't do anything with the dates the 1st or the 9th.

after looking at the grimsby roll of honour,and the sdgw i personally think george edwin 6563 was in the 1st battalion lincolnshire regiment and was killed on the first of july 1916 and lies in gordon dump cemetery a hero among thousands of heroes.

thanks

andy 1