The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Auxilliary Patrol Service

Ian - Sussex

Hi there, I came across this old post whilst researching my family tree and thought I'd share some information relating to one of the casualties mentioned above.

Ordinary Seaman Robert Dick Thomson  was my great-great uncle. He was born on 15th June 1894, in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He was the second youngest of ten children and had five brothers and four sisters. Robert's brother and my great grandfather, William Thomson, is listed on the CWGC Archives as his next of kin at their address in Milton Terrace, Lesmahagow. Robert died in 1917, the year before my grandfather was born at that same address. .Robert D Thomson is listed on the Roll of Honour at the gates of Lesmahagow Cemetery, where my grandfather and Robert's brother and sister are buried. Robert's brother, John Kirk Thomson (1891-1971) also served during WWI with the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

It was very difficult to find any trace of Robert given that he died so young, so far from home. There were many Robert Thomson's who died in WWI and his surname is misspelled in the service record. He was Scottish, so the fact that he appears to have served in the RNCVR is interesting and I may have overlooked his record several times as a result. Whilst I was searching, I found an earlier record from October 1914 of a Robert Thomson born on the 15th June 1896 (possibly the year is an error) who served in the RNVR - Clyde Division (Service Number: Z/1678). He was posted to "Vivid III", which I believe to have been a shore-based administrative role in Plymouth. I will need to take a closer look at the service records to clarify if this is indeed the same person and perhaps he later joined the RNCVR.

Thank you for this helpful information, it's an interesting story and I'd almost certainly never have found him without it. I have posted a photo request on FindAGrave.com, so hopefully someone who lives locally can take a picture to let me see the headstone.

Best wishes,

C W Thomson

East Kilbride, Lanarkshire

• 2 years later...
On 05/04/2019 at 02:54, Guest said:

Hi there, I came across this old post whilst researching my family tree and thought I'd share some information relating to one of the casualties mentioned above.

Ordinary Seaman Robert Dick Thomson  was my great-great uncle. He was born on 15th June 1894, in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He was the second youngest of ten children and had five brothers and four sisters. Robert's brother and my great grandfather, William Thomson, is listed on the CWGC Archives as his next of kin at their address in Milton Terrace, Lesmahagow. Robert died in 1917, the year before my grandfather was born at that same address. .Robert D Thomson is listed on the Roll of Honour at the gates of Lesmahagow Cemetery, where my grandfather and Robert's brother and sister are buried. Robert's brother, John Kirk Thomson (1891-1971) also served during WWI with the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

It was very difficult to find any trace of Robert given that he died so young, so far from home. There were many Robert Thomson's who died in WWI and his surname is misspelled in the service record. He was Scottish, so the fact that he appears to have served in the RNCVR is interesting and I may have overlooked his record several times as a result. Whilst I was searching, I found an earlier record from October 1914 of a Robert Thomson born on the 15th June 1896 (possibly the year is an error) who served in the RNVR - Clyde Division (Service Number: Z/1678). He was posted to "Vivid III", which I believe to have been a shore-based administrative role in Plymouth. I will need to take a closer look at the service records to clarify if this is indeed the same person and perhaps he later joined the RNCVR.

Thank you for this helpful information, it's an interesting story and I'd almost certainly never have found him without it. I have posted a photo request on FindAGrave.com, so hopefully someone who lives locally can take a picture to let me see the headstone.

Best wishes,

C W Thomson

East Kilbride, Lanarkshire

Hi, Maybe you will see this or maybe you won't...I was one of the divers that discovered HMT Borneo. You'll find HMT Borneo on YouTube, Beauchief Wreck Divers. We have just found Piscatorial11 which is also on the same memorial. Video of that will be out soon as well..