The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private William Storm

I am trying to find out some details of a great uncle William Storm, who is buried at Boulogne eastern cemetery. I have his info. from CWGC and also from the 'Soldiers died in the Great War' CD. On the CD, at the bottom it gives extra information which says -

'formerly TR/1/14073, TR'

Can anyone tell me what this means as he was only 18 and I thought a bit young to be 'formerly' anything!

Thanks

Suzanne.

Thankyou for the reply. But what exactly was a training reserve? Was it a national thing, or perhaps just the regiment. He was in the 7th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders and his number (S/25113) is very different from the TR... one. Does the 'S' stand for Seaforth, and when would the number have changed? Sorry for so many questions.

Suzanne.

Thankyou for the reply. But what exactly was a training reserve? Was it a national thing, or perhaps just the regiment. He was in the 7th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders and his number (S/25113) is very different from the TR... one. Does the 'S' stand for Seaforth, and when would the number have changed? Sorry for so many questions.

Hi,

I've posted on prefixes before, a list can be found at:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...181&hl=prefixes

In this case the S indicates an enlistment into a highland battalion. A training reserve battalion was exactly what it sounds like, a reserve battalion used for training men before they are posted to a front line unit. The number would have changed when he was posted to the 7/Seaforths.

Hope this helps,

Alex.

In this context an 'S' prefix indicates a soldier serving in one of the infantry regiments administered by the Perth Records Office (Seaforth, Camerons, Black Watch, Gordons and A&SH) who enlisted during the war for '3 years or duration'. I've always mentally equated 'S' with 'Service' - as in 7th (Service) Bn, Seaforth Highlanders, but have absolutely no evidence for this.

TR/1 numbers were for men serving in TR units in Scotland.

Check out the mother site at

http://www.1914-1918.net/

for information about the Seaforth and the TR.

Jock Bruce