The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldier who moved regiment at outbreak of war

Guest Judy2

I am researching an 'old soldier', and it seems that he moved regiment on the outbreak of the war, or at least very near the start of it. I have his service number from the second regiment and was wondering whether anyone would be able to advise me on whether he will have had a different number during his time in his original regiment?

Also, I would be interested to know whether it was common for soldiers to move from their regiment into another at the beginning of the war, and if so what were the main reasons for doing this?

Thanks!

Judy

I'm sure a more detailed/expert reply will be along in a minute, but I'd imagine it wasn't uncommon for this to happen. My military units would have been under the full strength that they should have as their war establishment, they would have to be re-inforced before deployment and judging by more modern times, one way of doing this would be to transfer or attach soldiers from other units. It can also work the other way in that soldiers unsuitable for deployment overseas would be moved to other units to allow them to be left behind.

Ali

Thanks for the advice. From looking at the PRO website, it looks as though his records will be online in July, so I will have a look then.

Judy

I'm sure a more detailed/expert reply will be along in a minute, but I'd imagine it wasn't uncommon for this to happen. My military units would have been under the full strength that they should have as their war establishment, they would have to be re-inforced before deployment and judging by more modern times, one way of doing this would be to transfer or attach soldiers from other units. It can also work the other way in that soldiers unsuitable for deployment overseas would be moved to other units to allow them to be left behind.

Ali

Ali, sorry, definitely not so for infantry. There was a sophisticated and adequate means of making-up and reinforcing regular battalions.

Firstly, the Army Reserve, comprising soldiers who had finished their seven years colour service. These would ONLY be recalled to their own regiment, and continue with their existing number.

Next the Special Reserve, the 3rd battalion of the regiment. This provided about 500 more properly trained men, each with his own number which he would retain as and when mobilised.

Next the under-age [under 19] regulars, those not fully trained [6 months training pre-war], those sick at outbreak war, those wounded/sick and returned from front.

RWF found over 2000 fully-trained soldiers, fit and over 19 years of age, by Christmas 1914. They were all sent to 1RWF or 2RWF.

I refrain from comment on the threadstart: need to know more specifics, question is too vague to grip.