The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Enlisted - height 5ft 3"on August 31st 1914

Stephen Barker

My great uncle 13566 Pte Samuel Barker enlisted in the 10th Cheshires on the 31st August 1914. He weighed 108lbs and stood at 5' 3" tall. Should he have been permitted to enlist at this height at this time?

Incidentally, I'm 6' 3" & 182lbs. We have all shapes and sizes in our family! :D

Thanks

Stephen Barker

My great uncle 13566 Pte Samuel Barker enlisted in the 10th Cheshires  on the 31st August 1914.  He weighed 108lbs and stood at 5' 3" tall.  Should he have been permitted to enlist at this height at this time?

Incidentally, I'm 6' 3" & 182lbs.  We have all shapes and sizes in our family! :D

Thanks

Stephen Barker

The Minimum Height regulation @ that time was Exactly 5'3"So he was on the Button!{see The Bantams The Untold Story Of WW1 By Sidney Allinson,Pub:Howard Baker 1981 & later,which tells the story of those Below the Regulation Height of Five Foot Three Inches!!} :blink:following the decimation of the Regular Battalions the need for men meant that restrictions had to be slackened the "official" height restriction was amended to 5 Feet,adhered to more in spirit than in letter,meaning many men enlisting were under the Height Minimum in reality,"walk around the Block & grow 1" reasoning,hence the Birth of The Bantam Battalions

Guest Ian Bowbrick

As with all things military at the time there were some exceptions/big grey areas - here is a verbatim quote from the service record of 34457 Pte William Allen Hamps Regt:

Height: 4ft 11 3/4''

Weight: 107Ibs

Chest Measurement: 33.5''

Range of Expansion: 2.5''

Notes: Under height, under weight & under chest measurement

Slight defects not sufficient to cause rejection: Deaf both ears :blink:

So what happened............this guy was called up and sent to France

Ian

My Grandad-----George Ernest Green--5' 4"--joined Royal Warwicks 1914

My GreatGrandad---GeorgeWhite--5' 2 3/8 --joined Royal Warwicks 1914

My Grandad-----George Ernest Green--5' 4"--joined Royal Warwicks 1914

My GreatGrandad---GeorgeWhite--5' 2 3/8 --joined Royal Warwicks 1914

Thanks Nigel,i was going to mention George and his height.

His chest expansion was only 2 inches as well (34 to 36 inches),his weight was ok at 132lbs though.He went to France in November 1914 though at the begining of the war.

Was he accepted due to him being a Boer War veteran,despite him being under the required height ??,

Steven :unsure: