The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Inglorious Soldier" an autobiography by Monk Gibbon

Waddell

I purchased an interesting looking book from the op-shop today called "Inglorious Soldier" by Monk Gibbon. It's an old book- First Edition 1968. I was wondering if anyone has read it or can give some background?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it or the author on the net. I am aware that he was quite a writer later in his career.

From a quick browse it seems that the author was a Lieutenant in the ASC and was on-leave in Ireland when the 1916 Easter Rising broke out. He witnessed a murder of an Irish Pacifist by a fellow British officer. He befriends an officer involved in bringing the before mentioned officer to justice and develops pacifist tendencies. He then is sent back to France with a fighting regiment and has to deal with his strong conscientious objections.

There are some photos including a letter from his Lt.Col not recommending him for promotion due to his "eccentric views on the ethics of war and the duties of the individual in war", although he was never found guilty of any offence.

Looks like an interesting read. Have searched the forum and can't find a mention of it.

Anyone familiar with this book?

Scott.

Yes, I've read it and used to know his son. Monk Gibbon gives a fascinating description of the Easter Rising, as well as the training of an ASC officer. It is extremely well written.

Charles M

Thanks Charles.

Scott.