The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pensions

HIGHSPEN

Are there any traceable sources available relating to soldiers` disability pensions??

I can recall my father receiving five shillings a week in addition to his one pound,eight shillings" dole" money and his hatred towards the" means-test"man who called now and again to ask the same old questions.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

His records are not amongst the "burnt papers" but I would welcome long-shot at this possible source.

Try looking at pension records. That's where the dicharge papers and service records of one of my uncles were found. Good hunting.

Fred W

Sorry--"replied"incorrectly.

Thanks for the responses---but where are the pensions rcords kept?

--and what is PIN 26??

A researcher could not find his service record and the pension route seemed to me to be the sole remaining possible source.

Joe

WO364 (so called) Unburnt series is a collection of service records of soldiers. It is apparently a sample of reconstructed files of men who were discharged to pension. These were papers not held at the time when the main archive was badly damaged by fire in 1940. If your researcher did not look there as well as WO363 Burnt Series, he is not doing much of a job.

PIN26 is a third collection of service papers, and was another sample of men who had been discharged to pension, or where a war widows pension was arranged, etc. The PIN prefix is Ministry of Pensions, as opposed to WO for War Office. The number of files is there is comparatively very few, but worth a shot before you give up.

There are no other pensions records that I know of.