The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Swordbearers-Correlli Barnett

Longboat

Purchased this book in hardback for the princely sum of £3.00 yesterday.

I was wondering if anybody else has read the book and their opinions of it, as it has to take it's place on the bottom of the pile of "books to read," of which their are many.

kindest regards

Stuart.

Stuart

Well its a good starting point - I bought mine for 35 shillings (£1.75) in 1963 when first published. Liddell Hart wrote at the time that it provided fascinating pen portraits of four of the most significant yet puzzling military and naval figures in that War:

Colonel-General Hellmuth von Moltke,

Admiral Sir John Jellicoe,

General Philippe Petain,

General Erich Ludendorf.

For example those interested in understanding the first 40 days from the German perspective then the chapter on Moltke needs to be read alongside '40 Days in 1914' by Major-General Sir F.Maurice, first published in 1919 to see how events unfolded from the British perspective. Maurice's book has 4 loose maps which can be easily referred to when reading his text or comparing it with other books published since.

David Ascoli's 'The Mons Star -The BEF 5th August - 22nd November 1914,' first published in 1981 adds a wealth of detail, as have those books published since 1981 covering those first 40 days.

Philip

G'day Stuart,

About 3 years ago I rescued or salvaged about 8 copies of this book that were doomed to be trashed or recycled.

One I gave to a very dear friend of mine (Ex and 1st RSM of the Australian Army) 2 to the 'Friends of the 2nd Battalions Association', 2 were sent abroad in comfort packs to Aussie soldiers serving abroad, and I still possess 2 copies. (The maths doesn't add up, can't remember what I did with the other copies).

The irony of it all is that I have not read the book! I did commence it at one stage and got the impression that it was about the logistics and overall strategies of the Great War but other readings took precedence and, as you have stated, it has gone to the bottom of the pile of other books to read.

We may be able to share opinions in the future.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Corelli Barnett made a large contribution to studies of the Great War and at one time this book was on every list of must reads. Seems to have slipped a bit in the ratings. I liked it but it ought to be read with later researches in mind.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll wait until the nights draw in with the oncoming winter and settle down in front of the fire and make a start.

Then I'll post my opinion of the book and hopefully Pop we can exchange some views.

regards Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read this one but I have read his work "The Collapse of British Power," and thought it was a very interesting read. I loved his discussion and oppinion on the notion of the the "lost generation." If The Collapse of British Powere is any indication of his work, I don't think you will be disapointed.

Chris

• 4 years later...

Well, here's an extraordinarily belated response: in his chapters on Helmuth von Moltke, Barnett cites an alleged reference in JAMA 05:1928 'How von Moltke Died' which in fact does not exists - I have exhaustively index searched the whole of JAMA - not a sausage! There is to be found elsewhere an article of the same title regards Moltke the elder, but that's all. Sadly it seems, dodgy 'history' as regards the Great War has itself a long history .... <sigh> ... I would at least have expected better of this author.

Eric

It was only his second book, and was published 50 years ago. I accept that's no excuse for poor research, but I assume he got better as the years progressed.

Strange that it pops up now... I had it from the Strasbourg university Library last year and read the chapters on von Moltke, Pétain and Ludendorff. I only quickly browsed through the chapter on Jellicoe, because the naval part of the war is not my main scope.

It's a great book, Barnett gives an honest impression of the men and what they achieved. knowing that most books on command focus on Haig, this was certainly a refreshing look.

But what is more interesting is to put the characters of the three commanders next to one another and compare their view on military matters and their way of commanding. It sais a lot on how the armies fared in battle!

MM.