The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A couple of bargains

Jonathan_NW

Hi all

Whilst browsing through my local library yesterday I had look in the 'for sale' section of unwanted stock and chanced upon a couple that caught my eye. First was 'The First World War 1914-18' by John Terraine and next to it 'The diary of an old contemptible : from Mons to Baghdad, 1914-1919' by Edward Roe. Both in hard back and in excellent nick. The price?...20p each. Bargain.

Jonathan

Iwonder how much they'd fetch on eBay? I'm not being jealous at your good luck (well, I am, really), but were I a local Council tax payer, I would be quite cross that a library is selling off books so cheap. Many years ago I acquired the History of the 7th Division, courtsey of Cambridgeshire Libraries - for a song.

In these straitened times, one reads of Oxfam making a killing out of second hand books, and here is a public body virtually giving them away.

Shameful, I call it.

So, you'll be off to your local Library pdq then?

Well done Johnathon. I've been looking for the Roe book for a while.

Steve, I hear what your saying but I honestly don't think the councils care. I always have a look at my local library and have purchased a lot of WW1 books for ridiculous money. When I asked the librarian how they choose which ones to dispose of I was told they arbitarially pick them from the shelves. As you say it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have noticed on e-bay that generally a lot of ex-library books don't sell for as high a price as a privately owned book. It's never worried me and consequently have purchased a few bargains. I like to read them so they don't need to be perfect.

Scott.

Steve,

I'm a local council tax payer as are the many people who browse and purchase from the very popular clearence section of the library. I have asked the staff previously what the policy is with regard to selling old stock and they told me that when a title has not been borrowed for a significant amount of time (I think it is 2 years) it either goes into the Borough's central store or is distributed to the branches to be sold on to the public. It's all a question of space really as my local library has just had a consignment of hundreds of new titles delivered and as shelf space is limited it comes down to a question of either 1) send it to a storeroom where it might sit unread for years on a shelf or 2) sell it to a local council tax payer who will enjoy it, display it and lend it to potentially interested or curious readers.

Best Wishes

Jonathan