The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lancashire Fusilers casualties

jcebell

Please could someone with access to Soldiers Died CD tell me how many men from the 1/7th Lancashire Fusiliers were killed on the following days?

6-8 May 1915

6 September 1917

Thanks.

The Bells.

It does not give any data on the 7th..........did they exist?

6-8th of may 1915..........5 casualties, Barrett, Bellis,Bolton , Haslam, and Sweeney.

No hits on Sept 6th 1917

Thanks for the information, yes the 1/7th LF were a TF unit that went off to Galipoli, leaving with the 42nd Division from England in Sep 1914.

Strange that you find nothing...?

correction.

Sept.........Gee, Muir and Smith

6 to 8th May..1915......3 hits Coakley, Hanley and Wray

all three died in Gallipoli.........the 1915 ones

The apparently low casualties in the 6-8th May 1915 period are surprising as the battalion, along with the rest of the Lancashire Fusiliers Brigade, was involved in very heavy fighting in the Second Battle of Krithia. An attack by 1/7th and 1/5th on 7th May was beaten off by heavy Turkish MG fire and artillery 'at the cost of 180 casualties' (LF Official History). They had also supported an attack by 1/6th on the previous day. You'd therefore expect the Battalion to have suffered more than 3 dead in that period.

For the 6th September 1917 the low death toll is more easy to explain. They did not take part directly in the disastrous 125 Brigade attack on Borry Farm/Becks House/Iberian Farm that day, but they did suffer some casualties, particularly a carrying party which accompanied the 1/5th LF. Coincidentally there is a current thread about this very attack started by a Canadian lady whose ancestor, a member of 1/5th LF, was killed and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

Are you researching an ancestor?

Mark,

Thank you for the reply, yes we are researching and ancestor. My great grand father Samuel Sidebotham (1751, private), 1/7th LF served through from about 1912 until 6 Sep 1917 we believe. He was wounded in action, hit by MG fire with four bullet wounds in hsi right leg, and then gassed whilst in the ambulance back to to get treatment. He did survive.

We know very little about the attack on the Beck/Borry etc..though assume that it was part of the "bite and hold" strategy that was current at the time. We will track done the other tread as well...

Thanks again,

The Bells

On the other thread Tom Morgan has posted the description of the attack from Chris McCarthy's book 'Passchendaele The Day By Day Account'. McCarthy basically provides a precis of the British Official History account, wth photos and trench maps. It's an invaluable resource for anyone researching the battle.

Thanks again,

I can only find this link:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...t=0entry99844

(don't think that worked so well!!)

It is on the Place to start forum, by yourself, do you have a link to Tom Morgan's one please? Sounds like the book you speak of is excellent, we will have to find this at some stage...

We have a few copies of photos of Borry, Frezenberg Ridge, Low, Bavaria and Square Farms, we got from somewhere or other...would you like to see these posted?

Thanks,

The Bells

Hi, I am Shelley, from Canada, my Grt Grandfather was KIA 6 sept 1917,at Borry Farm - Dixon Entwistle ~ 235465,1/5 Lancashire Fusiliers. I have another thread on the western front forum, Yes please post the photographs you mentioned, I would be very interested to view them. Cheers Shelley :D

The Bells, Thank You for posting the order and the photographs! Words fail me when I look at the photographs, and I get chills reading the order :o ! regards Shelley