The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Robert Dolan RSM Inniskillings Service Number 13133

aughagash

I'm looking for any information on my great uncle Robert Dolan, Regimental Serjeant Major in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers "C" Coy. 7th/8th Bn. He was killed in action on 27/03/1918 and according to the Commonwealth War Graves website is commemorated on the Pozieres memorial.

SDGW

Name: Robert Dolan

Birth Place: Newtownstewart, CO. Tyrone

Residence: Glasgow

Death Date: 27 Mar 1918

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion: 7/8th Battalion.

Number: 13133

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Aldershot

MIC

post-16197-1252317845.jpg

Thanks Kevint, this is him. Any idea what the "Appl for DCM" means on the second page? Also where could I find out more about the details of his service or the circumstances of his death?

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I see you have not been on the forum since 2010, are you still researching this man?

Cheers.

Tom.

• 2 months later...

Yes. We're still searching for info on great uncle Bob.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know why Robert Dolan #13133, d. 27 March 1918 also had a regimental #5805. I'm trying to track down genealogical information for this family. I believe he lied about his age when he joined the army - he was 16, not 18. I know he was married in Tipperary to Mary Bridget Larkin & had 2 children. He had a brother John dob unknown & a sister Jane who married James Coyle & maybe other siblings. His father was Michael or Mick Dolan & his mother was Maggie (maybe Nichol who died 1880). His half-siblings (mother Maggie McAleer) included my grandmother Margaret Ann Dolan who married (1) Alexander McCool # 10426 18 February 1917. Alexander died in France 3 December 1917. He was in Labour Corps #407843 & Royal Irish Rifles #10848. Not much of a marriage living cheek-by-jowl with the Coyles in Londonderry & him in Ebrington Barracks. She then married my grandfather (2) Archibald Devlin dob 1890, Ballymena who was injured at Suvla Bay (& Maggie believed, dead) in 1921. I don't have much information on Mick Dolan b.(Fermanagh, Cavan, Tyrone) around 1850. There are so many Mick Dolans, son of Mick Dolan, married to a woman named Maggie that it's very difficult to get clear-cut evidence.

Thank you

• 3 months later...
Guest firebird853okg@hotmail.com

Hello Lance-Corporal,

I have information on Robert Dolan and his family. Like you he was my 2xGt. Uncle. He had two service numbers because he first enlisted in 1897, just after Christmas, using his sister Jane's dob. She was my Gt. Granny. I also have info on Michael's third wife and their son, and his parents and brothers. If you want you can e-mail me at firebird853okg@hotmail.com

Regards,

Joe.